Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Mom taught me to make Southern Cornbread Dressing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/mom-taught-me-make-southern-cornbread-dressing-t77046.html)

sandilee 11-20-2010 02:24 PM

I make this every year....Thanksgiving and Christmas. I also put oysters in mine.

KatFish 11-20-2010 06:52 PM

I put oysters in mine too. Or I should say DH puts them in mine for me. I can't tutch them with out my hands breaking out in a rash. I make two batches of dressing, one with and one without. DH complained very loudly about the price of fresh oysters this year.

Pickles 11-20-2010 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
I never wrote it down and get nervous every year. This is what I remember:
Boil whole chicken, then bone and tear chicken into lg pieces
Saute celery and onion in butter
Crumble cornbread and white bread (I dry the white bread overnight by leaving out)
Add chicken and enough of the stock it was boiled in to make it super moist
Add equal parts of poultry seasoning and sage
Add celery, onions and the butter used to saute them in
Add 2 eggs, then roll up your sleeves, wash your hands and forearms and mix, mix mix!

Cook in oven at 350 until top is dry, golden brown and delicious!

Does this sound right to those of you that make this type of dressing?

Sounds just like mine except I add 4 hard boiled chopped up eggs to it before cooking and I was raised in South Texas and have always cooked Southern style :D :thumbup:

#1piecemaker 11-21-2010 06:14 AM

Don't forget the black pepper!!

Sweeterthanwine 11-21-2010 08:55 AM

This sounds exactly like what I make. You can also put in some chopped water chestnuts for a little crunch. My hubby and doesn't like them so I leave them out, but my MIL used them. I love the old fashioned cornbread dressing. SO GOOD

BellaBoo 11-23-2010 08:14 AM

That's the basic recipe. I use shortcuts. I buy onion and celery chopped in the freezer section and add it to my cornbread before baking. I add a package of dry bread stuffing to the cornbread, use canned chicken broth and lots of eggs. Sage, salt and pepper and diced hard boiled eggs. Bake until set but not firm. I rarely mix/chop/pat food with my bare hands. I keep boxes of disposable gloves in my kitchen and use them.

TN Donna 12-01-2010 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
I never wrote it down and get nervous every year. This is what I remember:
Boil whole chicken, then bone and tear chicken into lg pieces
Saute celery and onion in butter
Crumble cornbread and white bread (I dry the white bread overnight by leaving out)
Add chicken and enough of the stock it was boiled in to make it super moist
Add equal parts of poultry seasoning and sage
Add celery, onions and the butter used to saute them in
Add 2 eggs, then roll up your sleeves, wash your hands and forearms and mix, mix mix!

Cook in oven at 350 until top is dry, golden brown and delicious!

Does this sound right to those of you that make this type of dressing?

It sounds almost like mine. I do not add the eggs as I have them in the cornbread and I add a can of cream of chicken soup for moisture.

blueangel 10-03-2011 05:26 AM

I make this every year.