Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Mulligan Stew (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/mulligan-stew-t80577.html)

Jersey Gal 12-04-2010 12:36 PM

Hello. My mom used to make us a dish she called Mulligan Stew, which was my favorite. I have no idea how she made it. It had tiny ground beef meatballs, and cubed potatoes in a white colored broth, almost like a gravy. I've tried making it with Cream of Mushroom Soup, but the mushroom flavor is overwhelming. Does anyone have any suggestions or a similar recipe?

amma 12-04-2010 12:42 PM

Maybe try using 1/3 of a can of soup and milk... adjusting the amount of soup as you go? :D:D:D

susiequilt 12-04-2010 04:29 PM

My mother made something like this. She browned the hamburger and onions then added some flour and water to make the gravy. Added the potatoes, salt and pepper, carrots and cooked until done.

magpie 12-04-2010 05:11 PM

Or try using a can of cream of potato soup. I started using this for scalloped potatoes and ham, what a difference.

Rettie V. Grama 12-05-2010 04:28 PM

Have you ever made Beef Stew? If you have, you have made Mulligan Stew. Explanation follows:
Mulligan stew is an improvised dish said to have been prepared by American hobos in camps in the early 1900s.[1]

The first mention of mulligan stew in print appeared in The Yukon Midnight Sun in 1904.[2] "Mulligan" is a stand-in for any Irishman, and mulligan stew is simply an Irish stew that includes meat, potatoes, vegetables, and whatever else can be begged, scavenged, found or stolen.[3] A local Appalachian variant is a burgoo, where the available ingredients might include squirrel or 'possum. Only a pot and a fire are required. The hobo who put it together was known as the "mulligan mixer."

Originally Posted by Jersey Gal
Hello. My mom used to make us a dish she called Mulligan Stew, which was my favorite. I have no idea how she made it. It had tiny ground beef meatballs, and cubed potatoes in a white colored broth, almost like a gravy. I've tried making it with Cream of Mushroom Soup, but the mushroom flavor is overwhelming. Does anyone have any suggestions or a similar recipe?

Jersey Gal 12-05-2010 04:39 PM

Adding flour and water might have been what my mother used. Do you remember if your mother's gravy was light in color, not a brown gravy. I doubt my mom used can soup, as I have tried in making this stew. Thanks Susie.

Originally Posted by susiequilt
My mother made something like this. She browned the hamburger and onions then added some flour and water to make the gravy. Added the potatoes, salt and pepper, carrots and cooked until done.

susiequilt 12-05-2010 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jersey Gal
Adding flour and water might have been what my mother used. Do you remember if your mother's gravy was light in color, not a brown gravy. I doubt my mom used can soup, as I have tried in making this stew. Thanks Susie.

Originally Posted by susiequilt

The browner the meat the browner the gravy! Her's was lighter than regular gravy! A tan if I remember right.
No soup in this.
:-D

I made it when my kids were small.
Browned the meat and onions then added flour and mixed and scrapped the bottom of the pan to get those little bits of meat. Stirred while adding the water to let it thicken. Put in potatoes and carrots. You could also add other veggies and let it cook until done.
I think the kids liked it! It's been a long time.

blueangel 10-04-2011 12:38 PM

Yum