Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   My oven is broke and I want to make lasagna. Any recipes or ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/my-oven-broke-i-want-make-lasagna-any-recipes-ideas-t262504.html)

Annaquilts 03-11-2015 11:12 PM

My oven is broke and I want to make lasagna. Any recipes or ideas?

So our oven broke but I already bought all the ingredients for lasagna. I need a way to make some large quantities of lasagna. I have an electric skillet, a crock pot and one of those big roaster ovens. We have a very large family and i need a recipe for 10-20 people.

My first thought went to the roaster oven but I could not find a recipe online Should I give up and make a big pan of spaghetti? I also thought of cooking all the ingredients, layering them and just eating it like that. Should work right because everything is cooked. Granted it will be way more runny.

Taylorsgram 03-12-2015 02:11 AM

I bake in my roaster oven all the time. You should have no problem using it for lasagna.

I would just use my normal recipe, set the oven for 350 (or whatever temp you would use in your regular oven) and bake until done.

ptquilts 03-12-2015 04:35 AM

Look up recipes for crockpot lasagna. Could you borrow someone else's crockpot to make a larger amount?

Or could you borrow a neighbor's oven and pay her with a slice of lasagna? I just had 2 neighbors over here making cinnamon rolls when their water did not work and mine did, I got a nice treat out of it!

Stitchnripper 03-12-2015 05:37 AM

<csforum:threaddata style="line-height: 1.22em;">RE: Can you put lasagna in a electric roaster?</csforum:threaddata>

This is a recipe Cubbybear posted about a year ago, from the Nesco website. I have not tried this. I thought the procedure might help you.
I assumed you were referring to a crockpot type when you said electric roaster.
Lazy Lasagna
Submitted to Nesco® by Mimi Shanahan, who lives in McCook Lake, SD.
1 1/2 lbs. hamburger (I use 90% lean)
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
1 large size jar of prepared spaghetti sauce
2 cups water
1 pkg mozarella cheese, sliced thin or grated
1 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 container ricotta cheese
1 pkg. lasagna noodles, uncooked.
In 4 or 6 qt. Nesco® Roaster Oven, brown hamburger till done, stirring often. Stir in green pepper and onion and cook till onion begins to turn clear. Remove grease. Add spaghetti sauce, seasonings and water. Simmer to blend flavors. Pour mixture into a separate bowl.
Add about 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of 4-qt Nesco® cooker. Layer uncooked lasagna noodles using 3 for each layer, cheeses and sauce, reserving enough to top the lasagna during the last 10 minutes of cooking. You should be able to use the entire package of noodles and it will fill the 4-qt Nesco® cooker perfectly.
Preheat your Nesco Roaster to 325F, with the cookwell removed (with the lid on, though.) When preheated, just lift the lid, put the cookwell in, cover with the lid and bake for 45-60 minutes.
I had great success using your cooking directions and the suggestion of adding a little water in the pan if the lasagna begins to get too brown worked great. I had to put a little water in each corner.
The Nesco® 4-qt cooker makes a wonderfully thick lasagna, however, it makes quite a lot. Not to worry, though, as it freezes and reheats well. If freezing, leave final cheese layer off and add it as before.
Tam

False

•  

Read more: http://community.tasteofhome.com/com...#ixzz3UB7CoA46

Here's a recipe that says it was taken from the Nesco website. Maybe that will help you.

If it were me, I'd make the lasagna in a pan and put the pan in the roaster to bake.

Annaquilts 03-12-2015 07:29 AM

Thank you for all your ideas, encouragement and a recipe! I had to chuckle at ptquilts as the water was off over here also a day or two ago. Yes my roaster oven is a like crock pot but it is very big 18 QT. It is the second largest to put turkeys in for Thanksgiving. My friend just gave it to me for Christmas and besides making pulled pork in it I have not used it. So that would be 4 1/2 times the recipe Stitchnripper posted. That sounds about right. Thanks!

QuiltE 03-12-2015 01:57 PM

IF you don;t want such a large quantity, why not put a baking dish into the roaster oven, according to the size you want?

Or bake the large quantity ..... and freeze smaller portions for when you want an easy, lazy meal! :)

Plus crockpot lasagna works perfectly ... it's been my choice, since I first made it.

lynnie 03-12-2015 02:13 PM

for 15 yrs, I lived in a basement with only a hot pot an electric hotplate and a toasteroven. I now am in a house, and still make everything except a brisket in the toaster oven. I put a turkey breast in it too. Go for the toaster oven. no problem, works great.

granny64 03-13-2015 09:04 AM

On the internet there is a crock pot lasagna recipe. Google it.

matraina 03-13-2015 12:28 PM

Do you have a crock pot/

Annaquilts 03-13-2015 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7125272)
    for 15 yrs, I lived in a basement with only a hot pot an electric hotplate and a toasteroven. I now am in a house, and still make everything except a brisket in the toaster oven. I put a turkey breast in it too. Go for the toaster oven. no problem, works great.

Thank you for the heads up Lynnie.