Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Need advice/help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-advice-help-t80998.html)

btiny36 12-06-2010 09:54 AM

Hi, everyone, since I consider myself an orphan as both my mother and grandmother no longer is here with me, I have no one to call up for advice on cooking/baking.

My question is, I want to make my apple pies ahead and freeze them, first off I'm going to use premade pie shells no time to make homemade...
- so do I partly pre-cook the bottom crust then put the apple mixture in (homemade) then put the unbaked top crust on and freeze
- or do I just make up my apple filling, put in unbaked pie shell, put top crust on and freeze
- or do I just bake the whole pie and then freeze, then take out day before and thaw?
My concern is, that the liquid from the filling will make the bottom crust soggy....

Thanks to everyone who helps me with this. It's such an emotional time for me when I know I just can't pick up the phone and call mom or grandma for help...

magpie 12-06-2010 10:01 AM

When I learned for 4-H years ago, we froze them with out pre-baking. When you are ready to bake do not thaw them, bake them from the freezer as usual.

KimmieH 12-06-2010 10:02 AM

Hi :)
I do not precook the shell.
Just fill it with your apples (raw)..before freezing.
Then when you are ready to bake...Just put in oven frozen..make sure you cut slits (make a pretty design) on top for the steam to escape. Once you start seeing the juices bubbling thru the slits, your pie is done!

Originally Posted by btiny36
Hi, everyone, since I consider myself an orphan as both my mother and grandmother no longer is here with me, I have no one to call up for advice on cooking/baking.

My question is, I want to make my apple pies ahead and freeze them, first off I'm going to use premade pie shells no time to make homemade...
- so do I partly pre-cook the bottom crust then put the apple mixture in (homemade) then put the unbaked top crust on and freeze
- or do I just make up my apple filling, put in unbaked pie shell, put top crust on and freeze
- or do I just bake the whole pie and then freeze, then take out day before and thaw?
My concern is, that the liquid from the filling will make the bottom crust soggy....

Thanks to everyone who helps me with this. It's such an emotional time for me when I know I just can't pick up the phone and call mom or grandma for help...

ScrapQuilter 12-06-2010 04:51 PM

Hi Btiny

I would love to be your question mom...... You can PM me any time...........

ScrapQuilter

n2scraplvr 12-06-2010 05:19 PM

Feel free to PM me anytime you want!! Hope your pie is a success!! :D :D :D

smagruder 12-07-2010 04:00 AM

I have a recipe for a Dutch Apple Crumb Pie that is heavenly and super simple. PM me if you would like to have it.

plainpat 12-07-2010 05:35 AM

I'd be glad to answer any cooking questions you have. Just PM me. Hope this TOH site helps you.I like the last post.BTW.....just wrap them good & if baking for holidays, you can bake them the day before, if you want.I also cut 3 strips of foil,2-3" wide & put on the pie edge to keep it from getting too dark.

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/670901.aspx

Originally Posted by btiny36

sewing4kix 12-07-2010 06:06 AM

The foil is a useful trick to have. I have used it many times and it does keep the crust from burning to a crisp! I also have a wonderful recipe for fresh apple pie filling. I love it because it is a dark colored filling so no need to use fruit fresh products (save a step where you can in holiday baking). pm me if you would like to have it :)

CarrieAnne 12-07-2010 06:09 AM

Aw, we have such sweet people here! So many people willing to help!

madamekelly 12-07-2010 06:18 PM

I just wanted to point out that if you use a beaten eggwhite to brush the bottom inside of the pie crust, before you put the apples in, you will not have a soggy bottom on your pies.