Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Need dessert suggestion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-dessert-suggestion-t279962.html)

LavenderBlue 06-27-2016 09:54 AM

Need dessert suggestion

Now and then my dh and I are invited to join an extended family for a weeknight meal, usually in the summer. Tomorrow is our first one this year. They are providing lots of pizza. We'd like to contribute. Can you suggest an easy but tasty dessert we could bring? Many thanks!

Tartan 06-27-2016 10:19 AM

If you have refrigeration, a really tasty but easy dessert is honeymoon salad, or 5 cup salad.....There are many names but it is the one with cans of pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, mini marshmallows , coconut and sour cream.
I don't actually use a recipe I just drain the juice off 2 cans of pineapple (save juice) dump into a large bowl, add mini marshmallows, a package of coconut, a container of sour cream and mix together. I add 2 cans of the drained mandarin oranges at the last so they don't break up too much when I stir. I add a little of the pineapple juice back in if needed. I like it a little soupy as the mini marshmallows soak up moisture in the fridge.

toverly 06-27-2016 11:09 AM

The simplest dessert but that everyone seems to love. Orange sherbert with cranberry juice poured over it. Try it, you'll like it too.

starshine 06-27-2016 11:24 AM

watermelon slices, fresh strawberries, or a bowl of mixed fresh berries and some whip cream to top them.

cjsews 06-27-2016 11:28 AM

Use a mix for angelfood cake. Stir in one can of crushed pineapple, juice and all. Bake in 9 X 13. Easy and good

Chasing Hawk 06-27-2016 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 7588036)
The simplest dessert but that everyone seems to love. Orange sherbert with cranberry juice poured over it. Try it, you'll like it too.

Wow, that sounds yummy. Good thing I am going to the grocery store Wednesday.

Chasing Hawk 06-27-2016 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by starshine (Post 7588042)
watermelon slices, fresh strawberries, or a bowl of mixed fresh berries and some whip cream to top them.

I agree with this choice. So easy, light and refreshing. Nothing is better than fresh fruit.

Tothill 06-27-2016 02:22 PM

Fruit Salad or fresh fruit.

Apple Crisp

Strawberry or any berry short cake

Pavlova

Trifle

suern3 06-27-2016 02:51 PM

I find that simple brownies are always a hit. (I use a box mix, much to my daughter's chagrin) :)

tesspug 06-27-2016 03:10 PM

Faux Eclairs. Make a two boxes of vanilla pudding and cool. Mix one tub of Cool Whip with the pudding. Line a 9x13" cake pan with graham crackers. Layer on some of the pudding, add another layer of graham crackers, more pudding, finish with a layer of graham crackers. Melt 1/2 package of chocolate chips and four tablespoons butter(or heat a can of chocolate frosting a little in the microwave, just enough so you can pour it). Pour over top, refrigerate at least two hours. For extra decadence you can add bananas.