Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   need gluten free dessert for this Saturday! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-gluten-free-dessert-saturday-t283466.html)

quiltingshorttimer 11-01-2016 04:20 PM

need gluten free dessert for this Saturday!

I'm hosting a working lunch for next year's guild officers and committee chairs and have at least one that is gluten intolerant. (plus one that hardly eats anything). I plan on service Artichoke Sausage soup (know it sounds blah, but everyone always loves it, it's easy and no gluten), a bread (which my gluten person can skip), cheeses, and need a dessert. I have some gluten free flour so could make something with it.

Maybe a recipe for an apple crisp or pumpkin dessert using the gluten free flour? I've never used it so little nervous about it. Also, has anyone ever used it in a bread machine?

NZquilter 11-01-2016 05:01 PM

My DH is gluten free, so I always cook like this. PM me if you have a dessert in mind and I'll try to help you.:) I'm pretty good at adapting "normal" recipes too.

cashs_mom 11-01-2016 05:04 PM

I am gluten sensitive. I don't bake with the gluten free flour, but on the rare occasion that we eat out, I usually opt for sorbet or sherbet with some berries.

I'm also casein (in milk) sensitive which isn't unusual with celiacs and gluten sensitivities. You might want to check with her about that.

francie yuhas 11-02-2016 08:16 AM

How about crime brûlée',pumpkin custard,flourless chocolate cake?

klswift 11-02-2016 09:21 AM

My SIL is allergic to gluten, dairy, tree nuts AND soy! It has been a great learning experience. I had a head strat because one of my daughters was vegan - but she ate soy products. But, after researching, I have found a lot of recipes. An easy out is Bob's red mill products. The have a great cake mix and a brownie mix (bonus, they actually taste good to folks who eat 'regular' desserts). And, for a treat, Sprouts and Lassens carry a cheescake that meets all our requirements! Just thaw and eat!

trolleystation 11-02-2016 11:22 AM

At our last quilting meeting, I made a gluten free vanilla cake {mix bought at Aldi's) adding a little nutmeg to the batter.

For sauce, One can of Apple Pie Filling, warmed, with cinnamon candies added for color and taste. Group loved it.

You could also make fresh chunky apple sauce to pour over. A little whipped topping never hurts.

cannyquilter 11-02-2016 12:36 PM

How about pavlova everyone can eat that (perhaps not diabetics).

cashs_mom 11-02-2016 01:49 PM

Pavlova appears to have milk or cream. A lot of people can't have that (like me). I don't think there's much that everyone can eat any more.

cannyquilter 11-02-2016 03:36 PM

That's true Patrice.

NZquilter 11-02-2016 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by cannyquilter (Post 7691149)
How about pavlova everyone can eat that (perhaps not diabetics).

Oh my, I haven't had a pavlova in forever! Do you have a recipe I could use? I think my DH would love it.