Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   New Year Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/new-year-recipes-t301927.html)

tropit 01-01-2019 07:54 AM

New Year Recipes

Happy New Year everyone! I woke up this morning with an optimistic, fresh view on the world and that started with getting back on track with my diet. I love the holidays, I really do, but the rich food and drink wreaks havoc with my body. I put on some of the weight I had lost last year on WW, my joints started hurting terribly, I caught the flu a week before Christmas (and gave it to everyone else in my family...augh!) my skin has been dry and itchy...I'm exhausted and ready to get back to my better habits. So, I signed back into WW a few days ago, made peace with the scale and my tracker and started back in, made a few errors, but at least I'm trying. Today I feel like I'm ready to take it on. Here's my New Year's morning breakfast. Please post your healthy New Years recipes and let's share the enthusiasm for healthy eating!

Curried Tofu Scramble with Fresh Fruit

Curried Tofu Scramble
Serves 2

1 block extra firm tofu
3-4 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
2 teaspoons black salt (Kala namak)
twist of freshly ground pepper
Curry powder to taste (1-2 Tablespoons)
onions, chopped
mushrooms, sliced
1 plum tomato, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 Tablespoons Kite Hill Cream Cheese
2 big handfuls of fresh, washed, spinach leaves
dash of homemade hot sauce (My dau made it)

In a wide frying pan, over medium heat, break up the block of tofu, add the yeast and spices and stir until blended. Add the cream cheese and stir until just broken up and distributed around the tofu mixture. Add all of the veggies and
stir until the veggies are cooked and most of the liquid is evaporated. Serve with a big dash of hot sauce.

Fresh Fruit
cut up as many fresh fruits as you have and mixed the cut fruit in a big bowl. Here's what I had on hand today:

Blueberries
Fresh pineapple
strawberries
banana

Pile half of the fruit in the bowl on to your plate, next to the giant heap of tofu scramble. Pour yourself a nice cup of hot coffee and chow down. Yummmm!

This only took about 10 minutes to make and because there are no meat products in it, it's super easy to clean the one pan used. Easy!

~ C

nativetexan 01-01-2019 08:30 AM

Wow, you could come make me breakfast anytime. i had a bowl of Cherrio's!!

tropit 01-04-2019 11:53 AM

I love packing in as many fruits and veggies into my breakfast that I can. That way, if I screw up the rest of the day, at least I got the good stuff in.

~ C

tropit 01-08-2019 06:39 AM

I found a recipe on WW that looks interesting, but I haven't tried it yet...Banana Lover's Flourless Pancakes. Basically, it's banana pancakes with all of the regular ingredients except the flour. It even has baking powder in it. They cook the pancakes using nonstick spray and top them with fresh blueberries. 1 Point! I'm going to have to try it.

~ C

Darcyshannon 01-14-2019 11:50 PM

One of our favorites is grilling zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms etc and having with breakfast. Grilling them adds so much flavor.

Rhonda K 01-15-2019 07:31 PM

Best wishes on your journey for the New Year! Have you tried kale? I have just discovered the salads in a bag with different toppings and dressing. Easy, fun, and tasty too.

tropit 01-20-2019 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Darcyshannon (Post 8193180)
One of our favorites is grilling zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms etc and having with breakfast. Grilling them adds so much flavor.

I love this idea! Getting more veggies in is important. Might as well get them first thing in the morning.

~ C

Pennyhal 01-26-2019 12:40 PM

Cottage cheese pancakes are my favorite.