Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Peeling potatoes when you have arthritis (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/peeling-potatoes-when-you-have-arthritis-t206803.html)

romanojg 11-25-2012 06:14 AM

This always the method my family uses to make potato salad. Along with making the peeling eaiser it keeps the potatoes from absorbing as much water. Baking works too for regular or sweet potatoes.

nstitches4u 11-25-2012 10:31 AM

Thanks for the tip. After peeling potatoes and sweet potatoes for the gang on Thanksgiving, my fingers hardly bend at all. lol

Karen1956 11-26-2012 07:17 AM

If you want to try some really excellent mashed potatoes, try Ore-Ida's Steam N Mash. Real potato cubes that you cook in the bag in the microwave. Directions say 10 minutes, but I do 11-12 minutes. Just add your milk, salt and pepper, mash as you usually do. My family actually prefers them. There are several different varieties as well - garlic and sweet potato.

kyrose 11-26-2012 07:50 AM

A trick I use is frozen southern-style hash browns. The cubed type. Great in soups and stews. No peeling or dicing. Just pour out the amount you need, fasten the bag with a clothespin and put back in the freezer. For roasted or mashed, I leave the peel on. More vitamins and fiber that way.

ThreadHead 11-29-2012 07:48 PM

I boil potatoes in their jackets for my potatoe salad too. It gives the salad a richer taste.
I rub the skins off and then cut them in cubes when they are cool. Don't cut them when they are hot or you will have mashed potatoes. lol Miracale Whip Mayo, relish, onion, and 6 boiled eggs chopped. People love it.
syl

COYOTEMAGIC 11-29-2012 08:41 PM

My Momma would boil potatoes with the skins on and then peel them when cool for potato salad. I just leave the skins on reds and purples.

I have a peeler that slips over one finger like a ring. It's much easier than gripping that peeler for all those taters

slk350 11-29-2012 08:46 PM

I cook red skinned pototoes with the skin on , esp. good in a potato salad. Also mashed with onions and garlic

Annieflower 01-20-2013 02:16 PM

Great ideas here and having arthritic hands all my life makes for many challenges. Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas and I make red, yukon gold smashed potatoes while adding sour cream, milk, parsley, and other herbs. Whatever suits your fancy and the Kitchen Aid mixer helps for making potatoes for a large crowd. Bon Apetite!!!!!

LenaBeena 01-24-2013 08:33 AM

I got that kind of ring peeler a couple years ago and wish I had it long before. So much easier. Also if you can stand to watch Dawn Wells ,who was Mary Ann on Gilligans Island on TV in the 70's, she shows how to peel potatoes in a video on YouTube.

BellaBoo 01-30-2013 08:52 AM

I don't peel white potatoes at all. Waste of my time. I buy Yukon Gold for the thin mild skins. If the family wants no peels then they can make instant or be here to peel the potatoes or not eat them. Either choice is fine with me. ;)