Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   pizzelle recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/pizzelle-recipes-t172374.html)

ptquilts 12-18-2011 05:39 PM

just a quick hint - if you are going to make a lot, set it up on the coffee table, you can make a lot during an evening of TV watching. You get into a rhythm.

dabbler312 12-18-2011 10:02 PM

Our local church has an annual scandinavian festival and they sell pizzelles - here is their recipe

6 eggs
1 1/2 Cup sugar
1 Cup margarine - melted and cooled
2 TBSP vanilla, or almond or anise to taste
Beat eggs and add sugar and vanilla
3 1/2 Cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
Sift together the flour and baking powder and add to the first mixture.
Dough will be sticky. Drop by tsp on pizzelle iron.
OPTION - for chocolate pizzelles add 1/2 cup cocoa sifted with the flour and baking powder mixture.
Can also add 1 cup of very finely chopped walnuts or pecans.
Use small cookie scoop to put batter on iron; close iron tightly and hold for a moment; check for doneness.
Cookies brown very quickly.

gennie1950 12-19-2011 12:19 PM

terry, sorry it took so long to get back with you. Dad substituted the flavoring for the vanilla. Here is his recipe. 12Eggs-beaten,3 1/2C.white sugar,2c.crisco oil, 1oz of flavoring or vanilla. (Mix these ingredients until fluffy).Then mix 6C.all purpose flour sifted,1/4tsp. salt. Add dry-mix to the first mixture. Refrigerate overnite or 2 days. Grease maker after each,pizzelle, made. (I just keep a small amount of liquid crisco in a bowl, with my brush, that away I can remember to brush after each one made.) I use a tablespoonful from a tablespoonful scoop (like an icecream only smaller) I actually have 5 sizes and I never use a spoon for any cookies, they all look the same when you use the scoop. Adjust the amount till you feel you got it right. It took me a little time to learn all the tricks, now I whiz thro them. good luck and enjoy

KLO 12-19-2011 04:36 PM

I have been eating or making these every year since I met my half Italian husband in 1967. His Irish Mother made them and after my Dad had some, he went out and bought a pizzelle maker for my Mom so they could make their own. I now have that pizzelle maker. We usually make the anise one's at Christmas but I use anise flavoring rather than actual anise like my MIL did. I have also made them in the summer using lemon juice. They are nice and light and fresh tasting. This past summer I found another pizzelle maker at a flea market for only $3.00!!! Couldn't believe it! That now belongs to my DD in FL so she can carry on the tradition.

penski 12-19-2011 09:13 PM

you can add any flavor you want !!!

penski 12-19-2011 09:16 PM

i made some last year and before they had time to cool off i would roll , set a fork or knife on them so they would dry rolled and then stuffed them with differant types of jelly inside the roll they were a big hit !!!

My time 12-21-2011 09:37 AM

Okay another food item on this board I have never heard about. Have an idea what your talking about however and they sound delicious.

polly13 12-21-2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by dabbler312 (Post 4793384)
Our local church has an annual scandinavian festival and they sell pizzelles - here is their recipe

6 eggs
1 1/2 Cup sugar
1 Cup margarine - melted and cooled
2 TBSP vanilla, or almond or anise to taste
Beat eggs and add sugar and vanilla
3 1/2 Cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
Sift together the flour and baking powder and add to the first mixture.
Dough will be sticky. Drop by tsp on pizzelle iron.
OPTION - for chocolate pizzelles add 1/2 cup cocoa sifted with the flour and baking powder mixture.
Can also add 1 cup of very finely chopped walnuts or pecans.
Use small cookie scoop to put batter on iron; close iron tightly and hold for a moment; check for doneness.
Cookies brown very quickly.

DABBLER< I am assuming you add the margarine with the sugar and flavoring. I can't seem to see where it is mentioned anywhere.