Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Planning ahead (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/planning-ahead-t308173.html)

tranum 11-21-2019 09:56 AM

Planning ahead

Lots of events to attend from now until January so I like to fall back on the freezer to feed us. Big batches of soup in there and a double batch of “Taverns”. It’s a regional name that came from a little local Tavern that served them to patrons.

2 lbs hamburger browned with chopped onions
Drain well & salt lightly.
In same pan add sauce of the following:
1 (20 oz) bottle catsup then rinse out bottle with 1 cup warm water & pour on meat
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 Tblsp cider or white vinegar
2 Tblsp sugar
4 Tblsp prepared mustard
1/2 tsp salt

Simmer covered 30 minutes then add 1/4 cup Quick cook plain oatmeal. This makes a creamy mixture.

susiequilt 11-21-2019 11:06 AM

is this something served on hamburger buns? frozen on buns?

Iceblossom 11-21-2019 11:22 AM

I used to make something very similar to that with hashbrowns, particularly the freeze dried ones, instead of oatmeal. Don't know why but called it "texas hash". Can also add some Parmesan cheese and dried parsley to be more like Joe's Special.

I have all sorts of things I can make with basic pantry ingredients plus something out of the freezer/bought on sale. Good basic food now called comfort food :)

tranum 11-21-2019 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 8330379)
Lots of events to attend from now until January so I like to fall back on the freezer to feed us. Big batches of soup in there and a double batch of “Taverns”. It’s a regional name that came from a little local Tavern that served them to patrons.

2 lbs hamburger browned with chopped onions
Drain well & salt lightly.
In same pan add sauce of the following:
1 (20 oz) bottle catsup then rinse out bottle with 1 cup warm water & pour on meat
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 Tblsp cider or white vinegar
2 Tblsp sugar
4 Tblsp prepared mustard
1/2 tsp salt

Simmer covered 30 minutes then add 1/4 cup Quick cook plain oatmeal. This makes a creamy mixture.

forgot to say, simmer another 5-10 minutes after adding oatmeal. Yes, serve on hamburger buns.

rjwilder 11-21-2019 04:40 PM

I did the same thing this week, made soup, lasagna, quiche, and cooked hamburger and onions for taco's. Made two of each so that should hold us over. I also made chocolate chip cookie dough and froze it in balls to pull out when we want a sweet treat. It will thaw while we eat dinner.

recycler 11-21-2019 06:32 PM

Thanks for the tavern recipe! I make basically the same thing but have never had a recipe...just wing it as far as quantities go. I do add about a quarter cup of brown sugar and half cup or so of pickle relish also.

SusieQOH 11-22-2019 05:57 AM

Sounds good, my husband loves to make soups and they are so good this time of year plus quick to heat up.

coopah 11-22-2019 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by rjwilder (Post 8330541)
I did the same thing this week, made soup, lasagna, quiche, and cooked hamburger and onions for taco's. Made two of each so that should hold us over. I also made chocolate chip cookie dough and froze it in balls to pull out when we want a sweet treat. It will thaw while we eat dinner.

Do you do anything special to freeze the quiche? Just wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil? Or? Then how about the thawing and rewarming?
Thanks for any help.