Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Please Share Your Favorite Gazpacho Recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/please-share-your-favorite-gazpacho-recipe-t312027.html)

tropit 08-04-2020 11:41 AM

Please Share Your Favorite Gazpacho Recipe

The is the time of year for Gazpacho, with fresh tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and herbs. Do you have a favorite recipe? I make several different kinds, so I'll post them one at a time t/o this thread. Here's a scaled down version of one of them:

Oven roasted tomatoes, any kind
Oven roasted chopped, red bell peppers
Onions, chopped
1 cucumber peeled, seeded, chopped
a piece, or two of stale bread, crusts removed
a heaping Tablespoon of tomato paste
Valentina's hot sauce to taste
basil, oregano, garlic, salt, black pepper to taste
lemon juice to taste

Blend it all in a blender, put in the refrigerator over night. Serve cold the next day with a garnish of chopped cucumbers and a basil leaf.

~ C

Iceblossom 08-04-2020 12:09 PM

When its hot I can really appreciate cold soups and things like aspic or even savory jello salads so I'll be watching your postings. Do you have any of the others to share as well?

Don't think hubby is willing to try head cheese yet... but it may yet be a stop on his keto journey.

charley26 08-04-2020 02:10 PM

The best Gazpacho soup is one where the tomatoes and red peppers are very ripe, the cucumber is not too old, well crushed garlic, and the best olive oil that you can afford, along with a decent blender or processor. The tomatoes should be full of flavour, peeled or not, the final result is sieved, and some good bread soaked in water. There is no cooking involved.

charley26 08-04-2020 02:13 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...rfect-gazpacho

This is my go to recipe.

tropit 08-05-2020 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by charley26 (Post 8407664)

Looks good! The first Gazpacho that I ever made was not cooked, nor was it blended. It didn't have bread in it either. It was like a pico de gallo with veggie broth. So cool and refreshing!

~ C

Tartan 08-05-2020 06:27 AM

Not a fan of cold soups so my favourite recipe would be to serve it hot.😂

JENNR8R 08-05-2020 03:14 PM

Here is my favorite:

Chunky Gazpacho

8 chopped really ripe Tomatoes

2 peeled and chopped Cucumbers

1 chopped Onion

5 sliced Green Onions

2 minced Garlic Cloves

2 teaspoons Horseradish

1 tablespoon chopped fresh Oregano

1 tablespoon chopped fresh Basil Leaves

¼ cup chopped fresh Italian Parsley

1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce

Juice of 1 Lemon

4 cups V8 Juice

2 teaspoons Hot Pepper Sauce

1 tablespoon Salt

Freshly ground Black Pepper

Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. It is best served very cold. Yields about 12 cups.

charley26 08-06-2020 10:20 AM

Gazpacho and Ajo Blanco, are both delicious cold soups, and eaten in the hot summer weather of the Mediterranean, are totally delicious. This is where the most delicious ripe, and best flavoured peppers and tomatoes are found too. A beautiful cold soup on a hot mediterranean day has got to be a taste of heaven, or something very close to it.
At a pinch, excellent V8 juice, chilled, with some diced chilled cucumber and peppers, for garnish, would pass muster in other places.

I guess there must be equally delicious tomatoes and peppers in other hot/warm places, but for me, the Med is a clear winner.

Pennyhal 09-06-2020 02:40 PM

GAZPACHO

3 ripe tomatoes, peeled
2 stalks celery
1 bunch cilatro
2 cucumbers peeled
1 large onion
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic

Finely chop all vegetables, add to remaining ingredients

1 46oz can tomato juice
1tsp hot pepper sauce
1 tsp sugar
Juice of one lemon
1Tbs red wine vinegar
1Tbs olive oil

Chill over night, or at least several hours. Serve with cucumber and avocado slices. I usually serve it with a large shrimp (or more) floating on top.

This make a ton of Gazapcho, so I usually just make half. Just leave out any ingredients you don’t like