Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Poker night menu (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/poker-night-menu-t203368.html)

Prissnboot 10-16-2012 08:44 AM

Poker night menu

My husband is hosting the poker night this Thursday evening and I don't have a clue what to make. Any simple and quick ideas? No pork products, however/...

sparkys_mom 10-16-2012 09:44 AM

Grape Jelly Meatballs

Ingredients:
1 bag small frozen meatballs (40 to 50 count)
1 (16 oz) jar grape jelly
1 (8 oz) jar chili sauce

Directions:
Prepare the meatballs according to directions on the bag, drain when cooked.

Mix the grape jelly and the chili sauce together in a large saucepan, and add meatballs. Cook on medium until hot. Put out toothpicks for serving.

If using a crockpot, put all in crock and cook on low 6-8 hours. You can also make your own favorite homemade meatballs if you prefer.

This recipe is old as the hills but everyone still loves it!!

I should have mentioned that I just dump the frozen meatballs into the crock pot, pour the sauce over and let it go. Or you could thaw the meatballs in the fridge the day before to shorten the heating time.

themachinelady 10-16-2012 09:52 AM

This works well with the little smoky wieners as well, and you don't have to fry them, just mix them in the grape jelly/chili sauce stuff and heat good and put in a small crockpot if you have one.

Sliced summer sausage or something along those lines with crackers is always good as well.

themachinelady

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom (Post 5589979)
Grape Jelly Meatballs

Ingredients:
1 bag small frozen meatballs (40 to 50 count)
1 (16 oz) jar grape jelly
1 (8 oz) jar chili sauce

Directions:
Prepare the meatballs according to directions on the bag, drain when cooked.

Mix the grape jelly and the chili sauce together in a large saucepan, and add meatballs. Cook on medium until hot. Put out toothpicks for serving.

If using a crockpot, put all in crock and cook on low 6-8 hours. You can also make your own favorite homemade meatballs if you prefer.

This recipe is old as the hills but everyone still loves it!!

Helen S 10-16-2012 09:56 AM

Little Smokies and/or pre-cooked meatballs and your favorite BBQ sauce, heated together in a pan.

sparkys_mom 10-16-2012 10:07 AM

Deviled eggs are almost always well received. I also found this recipe for buffalo chicken dip that sounds pretty easy and pretty good.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/E...lo-Chicken-Dip

QuiltE 10-16-2012 06:54 PM

You don't need to have any ideas ... just ASK your husband what he wants on the menu!

sparkys_mom 10-17-2012 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5591077)
You don't need to have any ideas ... just ASK your husband what he wants on the menu!

:D :D Pretzels and beer. :D :D

Pete 10-17-2012 06:25 AM

Reminds me of my father's poker night eons ago. My mother ordered, from the bakery, one plain sandwich bread,one tinted in pink and another in green. She made little finger sandwiches (cut the bread with cookie cutters) with checken and egg salad and then served cute little butter cookies and punch. Needless to say, dad never hosted again. Don't know if the menu was intentional or not.

QuiltE 10-17-2012 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 5591927)
Reminds me of my father's poker night eons ago. My mother ordered, from the bakery, one plain sandwich bread,one tinted in pink and another in green. She made little finger sandwiches (cut the bread with cookie cutters) with checken and egg salad and then served cute little butter cookies and punch. Needless to say, dad never hosted again. Don't know if the menu was intentional or not.

Exactly what I was thinking when I suggested to ASK her DH.
What our idea of food and menu is .... would likely be totally different than what the poker-night-guys would deem appropriate! :)

And yes ... maybe your Mom had method in her madness!! :)
If you can, you should ask ......... :D

Chasing Hawk 10-17-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 5591927)

Sounds a bit like what my Mom would have done.