Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Pumpkin pie cake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/pumpkin-pie-cake-t75214.html)

BytheSea 11-09-2010 01:11 PM

Does that mean 12 oz total or two 12 oz cans of Evaporated Milk? This sounds delicious!

hoppyfrog 11-09-2010 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by BytheSea
Does that mean 12 oz total or two 12 oz cans of Evaporated Milk? This sounds delicious!

It's two 12oz cans.

hoppyfrog 11-09-2010 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by hoppyfrog
I've made this for years around the holiday season and everyone that loves pumpkin pie really likes this too. It is very rich so it serves over 20 people. Make this one or two days before serving so the flavor really blossoms.

Use a 9X13 pan, do not grease or flour.

Bottom layer:
6 eggs, 1 large can of solid pack pumpkin, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ginger, 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 cans (12oz ea)evap. milk

Blend all together with mixer and pour into pan.

Top layer:
1 yellow cake mix (dry), 1 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup melted butter

Mix together by hand and sprinkle over pumpkin mixture. It will look a bit lumpy.

Bake @ 350 for 1 hour or until a knife comes out clean. I usually cook for 1 hour, turn off the oven and leave the door open a couple of inches for about 1/2 hour and check with a knife again. Cover tightly and refrigerate until serving. It's great plain and really yummy with whipped cream.

Enjoy

hoppyfrog 11-09-2010 01:19 PM

I made the correction here on the evap milk.

I've made this for years around the holiday season and everyone that loves pumpkin pie really likes this too. It is very rich so it serves over 20 people. Make this one or two days before serving so the flavor really blossoms.

Use a 9X13 pan, do not grease or flour.

Bottom layer:
6 eggs, 1 large can of solid pack pumpkin, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ginger, 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 cans (12oz ea)evap. milk

Blend all together with mixer and pour into pan.

Top layer:
1 yellow cake mix (dry), 1 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup melted butter

Mix together by hand and sprinkle over pumpkin mixture. It will look a bit lumpy.

Bake @ 350 for 1 hour or until a knife comes out clean. I usually cook for 1 hour, turn off the oven and leave the door open a couple of inches for about 1/2 hour and check with a knife again. Cover tightly and refrigerate until serving. It's great plain and really yummy with whipped cream.

Enjoy

:oops: :oops:

Rann 11-09-2010 09:25 PM

Sounds great! thanks!

Gramyx7 11-10-2010 08:47 AM

This sounds absolutely fattening... My kind of Cake... I am makin this for Thanks Giving... Yummy.... My youngest son and grandson love pumpkin pie, they will set down and eat the whole pie .. they will love this.. Thank you so much for the recipe... :)

hoppyfrog 11-10-2010 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gramyx7
This sounds absolutely fattening... My kind of Cake... I am makin this for Thanks Giving... Yummy.... My youngest son and grandson love pumpkin pie, they will set down and eat the whole pie .. they will love this.. Thank you so much for the recipe... :)

You're correct. It has about a zillon calories but worth every bite. :thumbup:

BMP 11-10-2010 10:06 AM

That sounds really good and super easy, I may give it a try over the weekend.

piepatch 11-15-2010 05:40 AM

Sorry about that. It's 12oz

Originally Posted by piepatch
hoppyfrog, what size canned evaporated milk?

Thanks, hoppyfrog. This recipe sounds really good, and just in time for Thanksgiving!

Matilda 11-15-2010 01:39 PM

Hmmmmm mmm mmm Good!