Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Quick Biscuits (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/quick-biscuits-t275018.html)

Tartan 01-26-2016 01:44 PM

Quick Biscuits

1 Attachment(s)
Chili with biscuits is on the menu tonight. I used to roll out my biscuits and cut them until a lightbulb went off for me. I make up my dough and when I would be getting it ready to roll instead I pull off golf ball size chunks, roll into a nice round ball, flatten between my palms a bit and lay them into a greased Pyrex dish. Into the oven to bake 20 minutes and ta da, biscuits. [ATTACH=CONFIG]541159[/ATTACH]

ManiacQuilter2 01-26-2016 01:55 PM

They look like corn muffins. Sounds delicious. Good thing you not living within walking distance of me because I would be knocking at your door. :)

Material Witness 01-26-2016 05:54 PM

Great plan! I used to do the rolling and cutting, but then found bread is what is making me ill, so now am gluten free. Will be doing this as soon as I find a gluten-free flour that doesn't taste like cardboard.

quiltingcandy 01-26-2016 08:45 PM

Those look fantastic!

Amock2 01-27-2016 04:30 AM

happy day !!!! you have just stepped back in time.................that is the way most cooks made them many years ago. congratulations, on your new found "old" biscuit making way......

sdeaaz 01-27-2016 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7446435)
Chili with biscuits is on the menu tonight. I used to roll out my biscuits and cut them until a lightbulb went off for me. I make up my dough and when I would be getting it ready to roll instead I pull off golf ball size chunks, roll into a nice round ball, flatten between my palms a bit and lay them into a greased Pyrex dish. Into the oven to bake 20 minutes and ta da, biscuits. [ATTACH=CONFIG]541159[/ATTACH]

Can we get a recipe?

Tartan 01-27-2016 08:49 AM

Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour 1/4 cup shortening (I use Becel margarine)
3 tsp. baking powder. 3/4 cold milk
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in shortening (I use a fork) until it looks crumbly. Add milk and mix quickly. Knead a few seconds in the bowl until it all comes together. Pull off golf ball size chunks, roll between hands to form a ball and flatten slightly between hands. Place on greased pan and bake 375 for about 20 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
:)
This is the actual recipe but I usually just wing it.

elnan 01-27-2016 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness (Post 7446746)
found bread is what is making me ill, so now am gluten free. Will be doing this as soon as I find a gluten-free flour that doesn't taste like cardboard.

We get Pamela's gluten free baking mix from the health food store. They sell it bulk or by bag, bag being less expensive than out of the bin.

Onebyone 01-27-2016 11:55 AM

Looks yummy!

I use this recipe for the fastest biscuits/rolls in the known world.

1 cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together flour and milk. Add sugar and mayonnaise. Pour into slightly greased muffin tins and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
Yield: 6 rolls

sailsablazin 01-27-2016 12:28 PM

Tartan.
Going to try these soon! YUM!
So how many does this recipe make? 6? 12? I have hungry kids!