Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Really Good Banana Bread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/really-good-banana-bread-t17964.html)

Chele 03-21-2009 06:14 PM

I've had this cookbook for years. It has the best recipes! It's called "The Wooden Spoon Bread Book" and I don't know if it's still in print. The banana bread recipe is the best I've ever had.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (or Pam!) a 9x5-inch bread pan.

Sift together and set aside:

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

In large bowl, blend together in this order:

1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 to 3 bananas)
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk

Sitr into banana mixture, in this order:

sifted dry ingredients
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)

Turn into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degree for one hour or until wooden pick comes out clean. Turn out to cool on wire rack. Wrap in foil to store. This bread is easier to cut the second day.

Try it toasted with butter. Yum!

auntluc 03-22-2009 02:07 AM

My friend (retired home ec teacher) uses the over ripe bananas....like the really black ones and swears they are the best to use.
Instead of throwing the over ripe bananas away the next time I think I'll try this recipe.

Sara Street 03-25-2009 06:42 PM

Oh, no! Don't throw those overripes away! If you don't have time to bake banana bread, you can just pop them in the freezer - peel and all! Then they are great to use in bread, or smoothies!

leona07 03-26-2009 07:59 AM

Yup, I use the over ripe ones too!! And I stick them in the freezer for later if I don't use them right away. I'm not a big fan of nuts in my banana bread, but I add about 3/4 cup of blueberries to the banana bread and it is soooooooooooooooooooooo yummy!!!!!!!!!!!

I use the banana bread recipe from the 1950's version of the Betty Crocker Cook Book, but I am going to try this recipe that is posted. I am interested because it calls for brown sugar, sounds good!!

leona07 03-26-2009 01:58 PM

I don't know about the wheat, but my mom uses splenda and tried making banana bread with it. She said the bread tasted good, but it didn't raise as high as normal. However, if it tastes good who cares!

Mplsgirl 03-26-2009 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sara Street
Oh, no! Don't throw those overripes away! If you don't have time to bake banana bread, you can just pop them in the freezer - peel and all! Then they are great to use in bread, or smoothies!

That's what I do too! They are great.

Chele 03-26-2009 02:28 PM

I don't know why wheat flour and brown sugar Splenda wouldn't work! It would probably be much heartier. Give it a try Loretta.

colleen53 10-06-2010 01:35 PM

I just made this .. literally.. it is hot out of the pans.. and i have to say.. its very very good.. 3 gr children will verify this recipe is a keeper..

Chele 10-06-2010 02:09 PM

So glad you enjoyed it. I wish my kids would eat it.

blueangel 10-04-2011 11:26 AM

Sounds good