Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Recipes for ice cream made in the Cusinart Ice Cream maker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/recipes-ice-cream-made-cusinart-ice-cream-maker-t163052.html)

meanmom 10-26-2011 03:39 PM

We had a bumper crop of raspberries this year and I started substituting FF half and half for the heavy cream. I t was pretty good. It gets hard if you store it but is good when it is fresh

arimuse 10-26-2011 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pam1111
Here is the recipe for generic vanilla ice cream and you can add strawberries, crushed pineapple, chocolate chips, pecans, and walnuts to create various wonderful flavors!

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
Pinch of salt
Vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar

Mix all together and pour into the frozen Cusinart bowl. Mix for 20 mins and at the last 5 mins add any thing you want to change the flavor!

Very easy but thebheavy whipping cream is 5 grams of fat per tablespoon. It is definitely delicious. I think I will try the sherbet by Arimuse.

oh, the sherbet is soooo easy. I meant to say: WHEN you use citrus fruit, add the zest to the syrup - you dont need to add it to any other fruit. I bought 10 limes for 1$, and the recipe was 3 limes, and 2 lemons, but didnt have lemons so used 5 limes (made about 1 cup of lime juice) WOW - even with 1 cup of sugar it was tart! so I think 3 limes would be fine. I have 5 limes left and bought 1 lemon, will squeeze all and make a double batch and freeze in 2 parts.
The orange was about 1 cup oj, some orange zest (I really tried to squeeze 1 fresh orange, but they're so danged expensive I ate it! lol)
What I think I'll do is test some batches by using less and less sugar. I dont mind a real tart flavor with citrus and other fruits may not be so tart. I just need enough sugar to keep the stuff from turning into ice cubes. They say splenda works like sugar so maybe it keeps things from freezing too hard, also. If I read some lowcalorie cartons at the store, if they list splenda as an ingredient, it might work fine.
I also bought a grapefruit, cus I love them, and I bet that would taste great as a sherbet. This comes out so creamy due to the egg white its almost liike icecream. I did make some ice cream before this; it took cream, it was very rich. Tasted great, but just way too rich for me - this sherbet is just perfect for its taste and "richness" sharet (oh, I want to make mango,watermelon and cantaloupe, too)

lynnefaye 10-26-2011 04:34 PM

I bought the Cusinart also as have to make my own dairy free ice cream. I use canned coconut milk instead of any dairy. The secret I have found to keep the ice cream from being icy solid is to add about 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt when I give it the last turn in the blender before freezing it. There is no salty taste, to me anyway. Butter Pecan is my favorite but like the fruit types, too.

P-BurgKay 10-27-2011 12:28 AM

I use evaporated milk instead of cream and I have even mixed up powered milk really strong, and use it in place of cream. I have not used cream in years. I make icecream a lot, and always use evaporated milk and powered milk, a mixture of the two of them, I never measure how much powered milk, I just pour it into a bowl and add water to make the amount that I want. My icecream always comes out extra smooth and creamy

SEW 10-27-2011 02:35 AM

I think I will drag my cusinart out of storage and try my hand at making ice cream again...you have inspired me!