Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   recipes with "odd" ingredients (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/recipes-odd-ingredients-t243847.html)

DogHouseMom 03-28-2014 02:49 PM

Oops ... one more. This one is my own creation (as far as I know as I've never seen it before)

Raspberry, Walnut and Green Olive salad
Dressing
3 parts oil to 1 part Raspberry vinegar
Finely chopped walnuts
Salt (to taste)
Pinch of sugar

Salad
Mixed greens
Chopped walnuts
Chopped Green Pimento Olives

quilter1 03-28-2014 02:54 PM

I have made the mock apple pie many times. It uses Ritz crackers instead of apples, spiced and cooked. Sounds yucky but you would swear it was apple pie. A fun thing for April Fools Day.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 6649384)
Can't imagine the pork and beans bars, or the sauerkraut cake ... but I'll try (almost) anything once.

I have two recipe's with odd ingredients.

Fire & Ice Salsa
Watermelon - small cubes, de-seeded
1 (or 1/2) Habanera pepper - cleaned of seeds and finely chopped (suggest using latex gloves to do this!)
tablespoon of finely chopped Cilantro
Combine and chill. Serve like any salsa with chips.

The other I don't have the actual recipe, but I remember Mom making a "Mock" Apple Pie as a kid. It used potato chips, no apples. It might have had apple sauce though.

Oh ... another that I've enjoyed in Thai restaurants many times and have no clue how to make is a soup that is made from Coconut milk, lemon juice, mushrooms and green onions. Delish!!!

Billi 03-29-2014 06:25 AM

My mom used to make mock apple pie with ritz crackers too.....I had forgotten about that one it really tasted amazingly good.

The fire and ice salsa looks really good I'm going to try that one for sure.

lorli 03-30-2014 08:25 AM

My mum also made the mock apple pie, as a child I liked it better than apple pie.

She also made glazed corned beef that had canned pineapple and cola (or it might have been ginger ale) poured over it. It was supposed to taste like ham, don't know why she just didn't make ham! In those days (sixties) it seems like the whole point was to use the strange ingredients rather than thinking about how it would taste.

There also used to be recipes for cakes made with tomato soup and with mayonnaise.

crafty pat 03-30-2014 10:33 AM

I have made the mock apple pie. I also have the Mashed Potato Spice Cake, Mashed Potato candy and my DGM's red corn cob jelly.

DogHouseMom 03-30-2014 01:55 PM

I've had the pie with ritz crackers ... but my mother made a different one with potato chips.

Billi 03-30-2014 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by lorli (Post 6651922)
My mum also made the mock apple pie, as a child I liked it better than apple pie.

She also made glazed corned beef that had canned pineapple and cola (or it might have been ginger ale) poured over it. It was supposed to taste like ham, don't know why she just didn't make ham! In those days (sixties) it seems like the whole point was to use the strange ingredients rather than thinking about how it would taste.

There also used to be recipes for cakes made with tomato soup and with mayonnaise.

I forgot about the tomato soup, she made that and the mayo cake.....I didn't think of the mayonnaise cake as odd ingredients as its major roll was to replace the oil and eggs, it made a very moist cake.

Sandygirl 03-31-2014 03:10 AM

That first Recipe has waaaaay too much sugar in it. (Pineappe has sugar in it too). Better warn the diabetics. Seriously. No thanks.
sandy

ShowMama 03-31-2014 09:05 AM

I have a recipe for Pinto Bean Pie that won me a trophy at a pinto bean cookoff many years ago. It's very similar to chocolate pie.

I've also made Mock Coconut Pie using spaghetti squash instead of coconut. You couldn't tell the difference from the real thing.

Billi 03-31-2014 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ShowMama (Post 6653633)
I have a recipe for Pinto Bean Pie that won me a trophy at a pinto bean cookoff many years ago. It's very similar to chocolate pie.

I've also made Mock Coconut Pie using spaghetti squash instead of coconut. You couldn't tell the difference from the real thing.

Those sound fun too care to share them?