Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Rhubarb Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/rhubarb-recipes-t129435.html)

MinnieKat 06-10-2011 10:19 AM

RHUBARB CRUNCH

1 C. all-purpose flour
3/4 C. quick-cooking oatmeal
1/2 C. brown sugar, packed
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 C. butter, melted
4 C. fresh rhubarb, diced

1 C. granulated sugar
1 Tbls. cornstarch
1 C. water
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350º.
Mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; stir in butter. Press half the mixture into an ungreased 9-inch square baking pan. Top with rhubarb.

Mix granulated sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Stir in water and vanilla until well blended. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and clear. Carefully pour over rhubarb. Sprinkle evenly with remaining crumb mixture. Bake 1 hour. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.

Makes 9 servings.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

9-inch double pie crust

Filling:
3/4 C. granulated sugar
1/4 C. corn starch
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. salt
1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
1 lb. fresh rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 Tbls. butter, cut up

Preheat oven to 375º.
Line bottom curst into a 9-inch baking pie plate; set aside

Filling: Mix first five ingredients in a large bowl until blended. Add strawberries, rhubarb and vanilla; toss to coat. Spoon mixture into prepared crust; dot with butter. Cover with top crust. Cut several slits in top crust to allow steam to escape. Tuck edges over and flute. Bake about 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust golden brown. Cool to room temperature before cutting. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping. Refrigerate leftovers.

Makes 8 servings.

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

2 quarts fresh rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 C. granulated sugar
1 21-oz. can strawberry pie filling
1 6-oz. package strawberry flavored gelatin dessert mix

Mix rhubarb and sugar in a large glass bowl; let stand 8 hours. Place mixture into a large saucepan; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes. Add the pie filling; bring back to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in dry gelatin until dissolved. Spool jam into sterilized jars or freezer containers. Cool completely. Refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze.

Makes about 6 half pints.

NOTE: You can make any flavor you want ... just match up the pie filling with the jello flavor. I've also made Apricot Rhubarb Jam ~~ that's my favorite!

RHUBARB KETCHUP

4 C. fresh rhubarb, diced
3 medium onions, chopped
1 C. white vinegar
1 C. brown sugar, packed
1 C. granulated sugar
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes with liquid
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. pickling spice

Cook all ingredients in a large nonreactive saucepan, stirring occasionally until thick, about 1 hour. (I cooked for 2 hours.) Spoon into a sterilized glass jar; cover and store in refrigerator up to 1 week.

Jo M 06-10-2011 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the recipes, MinnieKat. I love rhubarb and these look delicious.

lllog 06-10-2011 10:54 AM

Oh, just reading these makes me hungrey. My problem is that I can't get rhubarb to grow and can't find where to buy it. Something about MO rock thats just not conducive to rhubarb growing here.

Lanny

Missysgottohelp 06-10-2011 08:35 PM

Thanks for the recipes. Was looking for something to use up the rhubarb.

honeybea 06-11-2011 07:59 AM

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SOME RHUBARB RECIPES AND YEAAA I FOUND YOURS.....THANKS FOR SHARING .....WILL MAKE THEM AS SOON AS RHUBARB COMES ON THE MARKET.......

greaterexp 06-11-2011 09:00 AM

Thank you so much!

mariebaker 06-11-2011 12:25 PM

yum! I will definitely make the jam! thanks for sharing w/ us.

RuthEm 06-11-2011 01:02 PM

Thanks for the delicious sounding recipes using rhubarb. I just sent you a pm earlier today, before I read these. You can just ignore it, unless you'd like to send me more recipes, which I'm sure we'd enjoy.....Thanks a bunch!! Ruthem

Farm Quilter 06-11-2011 08:01 PM

Rhubarb Upside Down Cake

4 c. cut up rhubarb, mixed with 1.5 cups sugar. Set aside.

Make a white or yellow cake according to cake mix directions. Put batter into greased 13 x 9 pan.

Spoon rhubarb mix over batter

Pour 1 pint of whipping cream over all. It will sink to bottom

Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

A wonderful pudding is formed at the bottom!

schnupp 06-11-2011 08:30 PM

Been making the rhubarb crunch for years. Delicious. Can also use the same receipe for aplles, blueberries, and peaches