Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   'rock cookies ( fruit cake cookies) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/rock-cookies-fruit-cake-cookies-t274080.html)

wanabquilter 01-03-2016 06:28 PM

'rock cookies ( fruit cake cookies)

I know that this is late with Christmas being over. But I finally had a chance to make some and did not like them. Either I remember some thing that isn't there Or I had the wrong recipe. I would rather not have alcohol in them. My grandmother use to make these once a year at Christmas she passed in 1997, then a friends wife made some at Christmas in 2003 that I remember melting in your mouth. The recipe I used made some really nasty ones. That were not cheap to make.

francie yuhas 01-04-2016 08:42 AM

Idea: I use a regular,spicy oatmeal cookie recipe and add fruitcake mix to it...avoid over- cooking.

Mimmis57 01-04-2016 01:18 PM

I have a wonderful recipe. It was the only cookie I made for Christmas this year. It was my mother in laws recipe but when she made them, they were truly as hard as rocks! She left them in the oven so long the bottoms were burnt. I tweaked the recipe and mine are really good. Let me know if you want the recipe.

ManiacQuilter2 01-04-2016 01:26 PM

I am a really lousy cook but can't you ask your friends' wife what you did wrong??

GEMRM 01-04-2016 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mimmis57 (Post 7423608)
I have a wonderful recipe. It was the only cookie I made for Christmas this year. It was my mother in laws recipe but when she made them, they were truly as hard as rocks! She left them in the oven so long the bottoms were burnt. I tweaked the recipe and mine are really good. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Even if the original poster doesn't want this recipe, I'd love it if you're willing to share,,,,, thanks!

maviskw 01-04-2016 06:47 PM

I'm looking for that recipe, too.
I have made "Fruit Bars" every year for many years until this year. We didn't have the cookie walk at church this year, so they didn't get made. That recipe is in Meta Given's Encyclopaedia of Cooking. It is made very much like Fruit Cake, but is baked on a cookie sheet for only 20 minutes. Then I glazed it with corn syrup glaze and topped each piece with a small part of a candied cherry. Looks very pretty. I alternate red and green cherries.

redpurselady 01-05-2016 09:14 AM

Lots of people think I'm nuts, but I LOVE fruitcake. I too, would love to have your recipe for the cookies :-)

DivaDee 01-05-2016 12:36 PM

My grandmother made a "fruitcake" with graham cracker crumbs in place of flour. I like that one.

granny64 01-05-2016 03:01 PM

I make rock cookies every year. Mine do not have any alcohol in them. My recipe has flour, eggs, butter, sugar, pecans, dates, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. They are always a favorite with people. My recipe makes about 120 cookies. If you would like the recipe, inbox me and I will send you the recipe.

dgeskine 01-20-2016 05:47 PM

I have a recipe that was given to me by an old friend of my first husband's family, she called them Christmas Rocks. No liquor was involved, but plenty of raisins, dates and nuts (pecans always my "go to" nut). I'd be happy to share if you are interested, please send PM if you would like to try this recipe. She always tended to burn the bottoms of her cookies also, but my kids surely do love having the recipe (and the cookies)!