Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Sausage-Mushroom Quiche (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/sausage-mushroom-quiche-t277293.html)

Jan in VA 03-31-2016 03:24 PM

Sausage-Mushroom Quiche

MUSHROOM - SAUSAGE QUICHE

1 large deep-dish pie shell pre-baked
about 1/4 lb. Jimmy Dean SAGE-flavored bulk sausage (I use a bit more than this)
about 4 slices of onion, minced
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms (I use a bit less than this)
2 large eggs, beaten
1+1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of milk or more

Cook sausage, crumbled, and onion together.
Mix eggs, cheeses, and milk in a large bowl.
Add mushrooms to cheese.
Add in sausage.
Stir all together and determine if you need to add a bit more milk.
Pour into shell.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until center is set and pie is golden.
Serve warm, cold, or reheated.

You can alter this by using spinach, omitting sausage, and adding salt, pepper, and some grated
Parmesan cheese.

This is a dense, cheesy quiche with a flavor reminiscent of pizza. It is best served with a green or fruit salad and a light dessert. This is a very old quiche recipe given to me by a friend in Alabama way back in 1978, and she'd been making it for years.

Wish I had some right now!! :)

Jan in VA

GEMRM 03-31-2016 03:31 PM

This sounds great! I don't usually like quiche, but I like the ingredients in this one. Have to give it a try!

susiequilt 03-31-2016 04:14 PM

Thanks. Can't wait to try it. I love quiche.

lydcnnr 03-31-2016 05:11 PM

Thank you. I see it for Saturday morning breakfast
Lydia

Jan in VA 03-31-2016 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by lydcnnr (Post 7510851)
Thank you. I see it for Saturday morning breakfast
Lydia

I've served it many times with a fresh fruit bowl - sprinkle on a hint of coconut - at brunches. Also popular at our guild applique bee occasionally. Happy to send it along for you. :)

Jan in VA

bneuen 04-01-2016 02:45 AM

Sounds yummy.

I have a question about the crust... Does it mean you should pre-bake your crust or is it an unbaked crust that gets baked with the other ingredients?

Thanks for the clarification.

Geri B 04-01-2016 06:15 AM

Yum..sounds good...I liked making those quick ones by bisquick, where it makes its own crust...hmmm, time to dig out that old recipe book

angelmama22 04-01-2016 07:14 AM

Sounds delish! I'm saving it to try later. Right now I'm using up all the leftover ham from Easter in casseroles and making bean soup.

Jan in VA 04-01-2016 08:29 AM

v

Originally Posted by bneuen (Post 7511080)
Sounds yummy.

I have a question about the crust... Does it mean you should pre-bake your crust or is it an unbaked crust that gets baked with the other ingredients? Thanks for the clarification.

I buy a frozen crust and bake it BEFORE putting the ingredients into the pie shell. Putting very wet ingredients in when it is unbaked makes the crust all goopy.

Jan in VA

meanmom 04-01-2016 08:40 AM

Sounds delicious.