Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Scalloped Potatoes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/scalloped-potatoes-t271886.html)

Onebyone 11-04-2015 04:45 PM

Scalloped Potatoes

This is so easy to make and delicious using simple natural ingredients. I use this same sauce for my mac and cheese and for broccoli. I use cubed potatoes because I prefer to chop then to slice.

Scalloped Potatoes

4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated cheese, to sprinkle on top
paprika

In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour.
Let sit for a minute so all the flour is absorbed.

Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
Season with salt and cayenne.

Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.

Reduce heat and stir in cheese.

Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.

Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.

Top with some paprika for color.

Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350º.

QuiltnLady1 11-04-2015 08:13 PM

Your potatoes sound good.

I do similar potatoes, but I cook them differently because I never seem to plan ahead long enough to cook them in the oven.

Cook in a large skillet with just enough water to cover until potatoes are cooked and the water is cooked down:
4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
1 onion sliced thin

Make cream sauce:
4 tablespoons butter

4 tablespoons flour
1 cup (more if needed, but you want the sauce fairly thick)
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
1- 1 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

Melt butter in small sauce pan, add flour and cook the rue for a couple of minutes (do not let it brown). Stir in all the milk and cook on low, stirring until hot -- do not boil. Add the grated cheese and stir to melt. Season to taste. Pour over the potatoes and stir until the sauce is blended with the water. Serve

lwbuchholz 11-05-2015 04:13 AM

Is the cheese put in with the milk? It sounds so good!!
Lynda

Forgive me I read the recipe 3 times and didn't see the cheese added and when copy and pasted then edited I found it. I am sorry.

bearisgray 11-05-2015 04:47 AM

Interesting -

I also make a white sauce to pour over the cut potatoes before baking them - but I make a thin white sauce -

for a 9x13x2 pan - I use about 4 T butter, 4 T flour, and about 4 cups of milk. It is kind of runny when it comes out of the oven, but it thickens up quite quickly. When pouring the white sauce over the potatoes, I only fill it to about 1/4 inch from the top of the pan. It bubbles while baking, and needs some room to do so without cooking over.

Onebyone 11-05-2015 05:33 AM

I tried subbing whole wheat flour in the sauce to add a little more nutrition. It was awful. LOL
The onions are a good addition if cooked first in the butter. I usually add those to my mac and cheese with a chopped tomato. I use a convection oven so the bake time is about 35 min. or less.

rjwilder 11-05-2015 07:52 AM

I make mine pretty much like the rest of these but I caramelize my onions first and degrees the pan with the butter and milk then add the flour. I love onions when they are cartelized, brings out the rich flavor of the onions and it's a milder flavor.

maviskw 11-05-2015 08:26 AM

No need to make a sauce. Layer sliced potatoes, onions, a little flour, salt and pepper. Make about 3 layers. Pour in whole milk to almost cover. Dot with butter and bake in 300 degree oven for 4 hours. Makes the best flavor potatoes. Using new potatoes helps with the flavor, too.

Tartan 11-05-2015 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=maviskw;7367213]No need to make a sauce. Layer sliced potatoes, onions, a little flour, salt and pepper. Make about 3 layers. Pour in whole milk to almost cover. Dot with butter and bake in 300 degree oven for 4 hours. Makes the best flavor potatoes. Using new potatoes helps with the flavor, too.That's the way I go mine as well. The only thing I do different is I keep a little sprinkle top container for my flour. Makes it easy to dust each layer with flour.

bearisgray 11-05-2015 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 7367213)
No need to make a sauce. Layer sliced potatoes, onions, a little flour, salt and pepper. Make about 3 layers. Pour in whole milk to almost cover. Dot with butter and bake in 300 degree oven for 4 hours. Makes the best flavor potatoes. Using new potatoes helps with the flavor, too.

I used to do it that way - but I learned that if I pour the hot white sauce over the potatoes that it would give the cooking a jump start and shorten the baking time.

fruitloop 11-05-2015 02:18 PM

If I don't make the sauce and pour over the potatoes, the sauce cooked in the dish isn't as rich. I can tell the difference.