Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   scone recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/scone-recipe-t249992.html)

jokir44 07-12-2014 08:32 AM

scone recipe

Does anyone happen to have Alma Allen of Blackbird Designs recipe for scones? All I know is that it is in one of her and Barb Adam's books but don't know which one. I understand it's really good.

Jean in Ohio13452 07-13-2014 03:28 AM

I will have to look in local Library to see if they have these Books... what I could find out was that its in the Country Inn book and the Recipe is one from her Cook Anna.. Google Scone Recipes and I have used many from Allrecipes.com... Hope this helps...

Tartan 07-13-2014 04:55 AM

​Someone posted their recipe for scones on QB. You could try it if you can't find that specific one you are looking for.

jokir44 07-13-2014 05:21 AM

Thanks for your help ladies. Think I'll check the library too.

mjhaess 07-13-2014 06:38 AM

Go to cooks.com..They have a lot of recipes...

AZ Jane 07-13-2014 07:58 AM

Lots on pinterest!!

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins...ones%20recipes

tessagin 07-13-2014 08:03 AM

Could google it!

jokir44 07-13-2014 03:09 PM

I've tried googling in every imaginable combination of words. Jean said it is in Country Inn by a cook named Anna and that's what I've found too. I now need to find the book. So far I've found it online but would really like to see the recipe first. Don't really want to pay the price of a book if I don't like the patterns since it runs from $18 to $26.

Helen S 07-18-2014 06:43 AM

This isn't the recipe you asked for, but it DOES make fantastic scones!

Maple Oatmeal Whole Wheat Scones
These are so good they melt in your mouth and you'll wonder if you ate one at all!
The original recipe came from Barefoot Contessa, and was originally made with all white flour.
Makes 12 scones

Heat oven to 425º
Line large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside

Measure all dry ingredients into large mixer bowl and stir to mix.

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose white flour)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oat flour
1/2 cup oatmeal (either quick cooking or regular oats will do fine)
4 tsp baking powder
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 & 1/2 tsp Vital Wheat Gluten (helps in rising with whole grain flours, but may be omitted if using all purpose flour)

In a measuring cup, mix together:

1 & 1/2 tsp vinegar Plus enough half & half (or milk) to equal 1/4 cup
Let the vinegar and half & half sit for a minute or two until it curdles.

Then add:

1 extra large egg + 1 extra large egg white, beaten together until frothy
1/4 cup light maple syrup (any maple syrup is fine here)
1 tsp maple extract

Set aside.

Beat one egg-white in a small bowl with a few sprinkles of water to use as a wash.

Set aside.

Dice 2 sticks (1/2 pound) of unsalted butter and add to dry ingredients in bowl. Mix until the butter is the size of peas. Add enough of the liquid to bring the dough together. Don't over mix! The less you handle the dough the lighter the scones will be when done!

Turn dough onto a well-floured surface and just gather it together, patting it lightly to form a circle, about 12" in diameter and about 3/4 to 1 inch thick.

With a floured pizza cutter or very large floured knife, cut the circle into 12 pie-shaped segments (6 if you want larger scones). Using a pie or pizza server (or spatula), place each wedge onto the parchment paper, placing pieces in opposite directions from each other (wide end to point, point to wide end) so they all fit in two rows, about an inch apart.

Brush the tops of the scones lightly with the egg wash before baking.

Bake about 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

Test with a bamboo skewer after 20 minutes. The skewer should come out clean. Don't over bake!

Fabricgator 08-30-2014 10:47 AM

The King Arthur Flour website has a ton of recipes, and they are relish!