Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Secret To The BEST Buttermilk Biscuits (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/secret-best-buttermilk-biscuits-t320350.html)

tropit 03-27-2023 06:36 AM

Secret To The BEST Buttermilk Biscuits

As you can see...I'm suffering from cabin fever. It's been raining nonstop since the first of January here, so I'm bored and cooking/baking things, while watching the weeds grow in my garden, which is where I should be right now.

Anyway...there's been lots of buzz online about biscuits lately. Young people are just now discovering them. I made some this morning. I used the recipe from my 1960s McCall's Cookbook that my grandmother gave me. It just called for "shortening" and didn't say which kind, so I used half unsalted butter and half solidified coconut oil. The butter gives the flavor, but the coconut oil is the secret ingredient. It makes baked goods so light and flaky. I've used it in cookies too...amazing! Try it!

sewingpup 03-27-2023 06:43 AM

Biscuits sounds so good. What my mom used for "shortening" was just plain solid Crisco that came in a tin can. We also had a can of that sitting in the kitchen.

QuiltingNinaSue 03-27-2023 08:50 AM

I always thought buttermilk was the secret ingredient in biscuits.

GingerK 03-27-2023 02:39 PM

This recipe came from one of Edna Staebler's Food that really Schmecks cook books and is absolutely delicious! I truly believe the secret is treating the biscuit dough like pie crust.

Lorna's drop cheese biscuits

1 c. flour
1/4 cup cold butter
2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. grated sharp cheddar
1/2 c. ice cold water

Mix flour and baking powder, then cut in butter like for pie crust. Mix in grated cheese and then the ice cold water. Drop by spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet. Add a dab of butter on each biscuit before baking (that's optional in my opinion--the biscuits really don't need it). Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of your biscuits.

lwbuchholz 03-27-2023 04:23 PM

I use coconut oil a lot but using butter with sounds wonderful!!

craftymatt2 03-27-2023 07:52 PM

I was taught by my dad to use crisco shortening, and his mom did the same, he always made the best biscuits, I still make them myself and my kids and grandkids love them.

tranum 03-27-2023 08:16 PM

Yeast biscuits are very good but I often resort to the easy Aldi canned ones.
Leftover chicken is so good creamed over biscuits.

WMUTeach 03-28-2023 03:50 AM

STOP!!!!!, I am getting hungry for biscuits or scones. :)

Onebyone 03-28-2023 07:18 AM

I grew up on buttermilk biscuits made with lard. Vegetable shortening can't compare. My grandmother kept her biscuit bowl on the counter and made a pan of biscuits every morning. They were eaten as wanted. Big fluffy biscuits. . I still use lard for biscuits when I make them. I will try the coconut. Never used that for biscuits.

tropit 03-29-2023 07:59 AM

Try the coconut oil. It's a good replacement for lard, or Crisco Both of these have been my regular go-tos, but I think that I like the coconut oil better. It tastes lighter and adds a nice crispness to the edges and tops.