Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Snicker Doodle helpful hint (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/snicker-doodle-helpful-hint-t207052.html)

farmquilter 11-27-2012 08:19 AM

Snicker Doodle helpful hint

Made a batch of Snicker doodles this morning and used my 11/2" ice cream scoop to drop them in the sugar/cinnamon. Then I used my scoop to pour sugar over the ball, that made the scoop non-stick for the next ball of dough. Went very quick and had them on the sheets in no time.
The first cookie had to be tested and all is well but have to get them out of sight. *Ü*

postal packin' mama 11-27-2012 11:30 AM

Another tip: one time, in a hurry, I inadvertently added the sugar/cinnamon coating mixture to the Snickerdoodle cookie dough. I didn't mean to do that, but since I'd already stirred it into the dough, I just scooped the cookies on to the cookie sheet and carried on. Turned out so nicely, besides saving the step of individually coating the balls of dough with the sugar/cinnamon mixture, I do it that way all the time now. The cookies have the coating flavor all through the cookies and the coating doesn't brush off.

linmid 11-28-2012 08:05 AM

postal packin' mama sounds like a must try tip. Thanks

terry leffler 11-28-2012 01:28 PM

I'd love your recipe!

CMARAS1234 11-28-2012 05:37 PM

where is recipe for snickerdoodles? Would love to try these . thanks Cmaras

mimi=17 11-28-2012 07:55 PM

This is a quick easy snicker doodle.....buy a roll of sugar cookies, slice and roll in sugar/cinnimon, bake and ENJOY.

farmquilter 11-29-2012 05:01 AM

CMARAS1234, the recipe I use is below and next time I will add the coating IN the batter, as that sounds like a neat idea, thanks postal packin' mama for that hint.

Snicker doodles

1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
In a large bowl, mix together the shortening and 1 1/2 cups of white sugar until smooth. Stir in the eggs one at a time, blending well after each. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into the batter until blended.
Roll the dough into balls the size of small walnuts. Roll in a mixture of 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, but still soft.
makes 5 dozen

Steady Stiching 11-29-2012 05:50 AM

I too use my icecream scoop...I like your hint for making it non stick.
Another hint I learned from making molassas crinkles that I use for my snicker doodles is after they are all rolled in sugar I take a bowl of water and using my finger tips I drop one or two drops of water on top of each ball..this causes the sugar to slightly melt, when baked the sugar on top will crack, making a nice crunch and pretty finish on the cookies.

SewExtremeSeams 11-29-2012 08:44 AM

Snickerdoodles are my all time favorite comfort cookie!!! Thanks for the hints.

postal packin' mama 11-29-2012 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by terry leffler (Post 5685783)
I'd love your recipe!

My 'recipe' for
EASIEST SNICKERDOODLES EVER

1 box yellow cake mix
2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup vegetable oil [I use canola oil]
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

375 degree oven

Mix all together; scoop out cookies.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes until cookies are set & slightly browned around bottom of cookie.

NOTE: Actually the last three ingredients -- sugar/cinnamon/nutmeg -- are supposed to be used to coat balls of cookie dough before you bake them. However, it's less work to just mix them in the with rest of the dough, which I discovered by mistake and now do it that way on purpose because they also taste better, imho :thumbup: