Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Sourdough Starter & Sourdough Bread Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/sourdough-starter-sourdough-bread-recipes-t3893.html)

OnTheGo 01-04-2008 10:57 PM

ABOUT HERMAN SOURDOUGH STARTER

In the spirit of Southern hospitality, a cup of Herman starter is proudly given to favored friends, along with sourdough recipes and special instructions for its' care.

Each time a cup is removed, replenish or "feed" it to maintain the volume and nourish the yeast. If cared for properly, your starter should last indefinitely. I knew someone who had kept her starter going for close to 15 yrs., taking it with her during several moves. I'm not that diligent. I'll bake a lot of bread in the winter, but let the starter die in the summer and start all over when I get in a baking mood, as I am now.

The Starter recipe and bread recipes below are from the 1982 Southern Living Cookbook.

HERMAN SOURDOUGH STARTER

1 pkg. dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water ( 105 to 115 degrees )
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups warm water ( 105 to 115 degrees F.)

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water; let stand 5 min. Combine next 3 ingredientsin a medium-size nonmetal bowl; mix well. Gradually stir in 2 cups warm water. Add yeast mixture and mix well. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or cheesecloth and let stand in a warm place (80 to 85 degrees) for 72 hours, stirring 2 to 3 times daily. Place fermented mixture in refrigerator, and stir daily; use within 11 days.

To use, remove sourdough starter from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature at least 1 hr. Stir well, and measure amt. of starter needed for recipe. Replenish remaining starter with Herman Food (recipe follows) and return to refrigerator; use within 2 to 14 days, stirring daily.

Repeat the procedure for using and replenishing. Yield: about 2 cups starter

HERMAN FOOD

1/2 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk

Stir all ingredients into remaining sourdough starter and refrigerate. Herman Sourdough Starter may be frozen. Before using, let thaw at room temperature until mixture is bubbly (about 5 hrs.)
.................................................. .................................................. .......
SOURDOUGH BISCUITS

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup Herman Sourdough Starter (at room temperature)
1 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted

Combine first 4 ingredients in a nonmetal bowl; mix well.Cut in 1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk & sourdough starter; stir until moistened. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead lightly 10-12 times.

Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness & cut with biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on lightly greased baking sheet and brush tops with the 1 tablespoon melted butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: about 1 dozen (depending on size of cutter)
Biscuits are light and tender.
DON"T FORGET TO FEED HERMAN !
.................................................. .................................................. ......
SOURDOUGH LOAF BREAD

1 cup milk, scalded
1/4 cup shortening
2 tablespoons sugar
2 pkgs. dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup Herman Sourdough Starter (at room temperature)
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon salt
5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour

Combine scalded milk, shortening and sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water a large in non-metal bowl. Let stand 5 min. Add milk mixture, sourdough starter, egg, salt and cups flour; beat with electric mixer til smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic ( about 8 to 10 minutes ) Place in well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover & let rise in a warm place free from drafts, 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. or until doubled in bulk.

Punch down dough; divide in half, and place on floured surface. Roll each half into a 6 by 8 inch rectangle. Starting at widest end, roll up jellyroll fashion. Fold under ends and place seam side down in 2 well-greased 9" X 5" X 3" loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place about an hr. or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Yiels: 2 loaves

Loaves are firm and slice well.
.................................................. .................................................. ......
SOURDOUGH HOT ROLLS

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup Herman Sourdough Starter ( at room temperature)
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Combine dry ingredients in a nonmetal bowl and mix well. Stir in sourdough starter and oil. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic (about 8-10 min.)

Shape dough into 2" balls. Cover and let rise in a warm place free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 17 minutes. Yield: 1 1/4 doz.

These are hard-crusted rolls.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
DON'T FORGET TO FEED HERMAN EACH TIME YOU TAKE OUT SOME TO USE OR GIVE TO A FRIEND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MissTreated 01-04-2008 11:05 PM

Cool! I love sourdough. I'll add sourdough pancakes...

The night before, add 1-2 cups flour to the starter and enough water to make spongy. (It will be thick and lumpy, but will thin out by morning)

When ready to prepare the pancake batter, take out 2-3 cups of the starter. (Be sure to leave 1/2 - 1 cup) To the 2-3 cups of starter, add 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons sugar.

Mix and make like any other pancake.

M

Pam Pollock 01-04-2008 11:11 PM

Thanks! I added them to my recipes. Yummy!

OnTheGo 01-04-2008 11:35 PM

I'll add the pancakes to my recipes. Thanks. I just love the aroma that permeates the air when sourdough (or plain yeast bread) is baking. Makes me as happy as a kitten with a basket of catnip! :lol:

Sourdough sounds like a lot of trouble, but it's really not when you make it regularly.

craftybear 05-27-2010 11:28 AM

awesome thanks for the recipes

GrammaO 05-27-2010 01:09 PM

How do you keep the house warm enough for the first 72 hours? I have tried to make starter for about 3 years now, but mine NEVER bubbles! I figured the house was too cold in the winter, but we keep the thermostat at 75 in the summer, so still not at 80 or 82. So how do you do it?

ScubaK 06-16-2010 09:25 AM

I put the starter by the hot water heater...
Keeps it nice and happy.
K

JanetM 06-16-2010 09:47 AM

Thank you so much for posting this. We love sourdough in this house.:)

blueangel 10-05-2011 05:10 AM

Thanks