Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Spam or Scrapple (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/spam-scrapple-t213074.html)

squires1042 02-07-2013 11:28 AM

When I was living in Scotland they used to make scrapple but it was made with (bangers) pork sausages, potatoes onion and a couple of granny smith apples peeled and chopped in it. It was cooked over a low heat in a heavy pan for several hours. Served with fresh bread it was delicious. They didn't add a whole lot of water or broth, but the starch from the potatoes would thicken it some as it reduced down. Good meal on a cold day.

klgreene 02-07-2013 12:04 PM

Spam and scrapple absolutely not similar at all. I do no like spam, mom used to feed us that when my dad went out of town. To me it's like artificial ham. Now Scrapple on the other hand, I absolutely love!!!!! A great Pennsylvania Dutch meat with just the right spices. Smothered in maple syrup ( now it would be Smucker's Sugar free syrup). Unfortunately we don't have it in NM. I've asked numerous times. So I can only have it when I go back to visit my mom in PA. Scrapple and a good Amish Shoo Fly Pie are two foods I just love and can't get here. Ok, now I have to make a trip home. I'm drooling......

trolleystation 02-07-2013 03:33 PM

My Mom was raised on a farm with 13 brothers and sisters. She made 'scrapple' for us during the war when meat was hard to get. Delicious fried until crispy and served with Karo syrup.

wanda lou 02-07-2013 04:42 PM

You know your from the Cincinnati area if you know what Goetta is.

craftygal63 02-07-2013 05:30 PM

Scrapple any day! I even learned how to make my own. I use pork roast...no oink! :)

COYOTEMAGIC 02-07-2013 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by trolleystation (Post 5845720)
My Mom was raised on a farm with 13 brothers and sisters. She made 'scrapple' for us during the war when meat was hard to get. Delicious fried until crispy and served with Karo syrup.

Karo syrup?!!!! People think we are crazy because we us Karo on our Pancakes, Waffles, and French Toast. It's in our blood!! Karo was part of our formula when we were babies. Didn't have all these different types of formula's they have now. Dr. would write up a script for Mom's to follow based on the babies age and weight. Karo, Evaporated Milk and Hot water. That was it!! We were all healthy, didn't have these ear infections kids have all the time, or all these allergies that kids have. Heck they even put us down for a nap with a bottle!!!

LenaBeena 02-09-2013 06:56 AM

I grew up on Karo syrup and still eat it. My husband refuses to even try it on pancakes saying he wants only real Maple syrup. I also grew up with sorgum syrup ---- anyone else remember and still use it?

alwayslearning 02-09-2013 07:39 AM

We are talking health food here, right?

Chasing Hawk 02-09-2013 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning (Post 5849226)
We are talking health food here, right?

Not at all, Spam and Scrapple are about as healthy as walking though the lion's den.

wantanaquilt 02-11-2013 12:58 PM

Hey!! I was raised with scrapple, mom had it many a morning instead of bacon. I like it thin and crispy. Always get your frying pan hot, when u drop few drops water on the pan the water will dance. It has ingredients in it that might turn off some ppl., so does a lot of food products u comsume, do u all always read the ingredients? I was raised on the Eastern Shore of VA. were scrapple it a breaksfast bacon. I know lots of ppl. that love scrapple and still healthly. Do not eat it raw, that is not healthly. Do not use any grease or pam on any oil, just fry few mins. on each side in hot coated fry pan. I was living in GA. couldn't find scrapple, then moved back to Va. now I can buy it when I want.