Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Spatchcock chicken (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/spatchcock-chicken-t318933.html)

tranum 08-16-2022 05:46 AM

Spatchcock chicken

With a kitchen shears I cut on both sides of backbone on a whole chicken & pressed it flat (breast up) on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Rubbed on a homemade seasoning mixture. Arranged vegetables around & popped it in the oven about 90 minutes. I checked with meat thermometer. We got 3 meals from it because it was good sized bird. I make my own broth from vegetable pieces that are normally discarded (celery ends, tough broccoli stems, etc) so I have a plastic bag of that stuff in the freezer at all times. The backbone went in the bucket.

Onebyone 08-16-2022 06:06 AM

I roast whole chicken about twice a month. I use it for chicken salad, enchiladas, chicken spaghetti, chicken pot pie and chicken soup. A large whole fresh chicken is inexpensive for the amount of meals I can make with it for my husband and me. I don't make my own broth, I use to but found a brand I like as I don't use broth that much except in soups.

sewingitalltogether 08-16-2022 07:24 AM

I chop up a whole head of garlic, 4 Tbs butter, 4 Tbs olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper, 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp each of rosemary, thyme and sage. Mix all together. Rub all over chicken lifting skin at neck to get spices under the skin.

Chasing Hawk 08-17-2022 07:30 AM

I tried this method with a turkey one year. Didn't go over to well. My son made fun of my flat turkey, named the poor guy Roadkill....lol

Watson 08-17-2022 11:53 PM

I haven't tried this but I'm going to!

For leftover chicken, I chop it up when cool and add it to an on-going freezer bag of the stuff in my freezer. Once I get enough, I make chicken pot pies with it.

Watson

rjwilder 08-18-2022 03:39 AM

I buy the $5.00 Rotisserie chickens from Sam's club. We can get three meals out of one with out having to deal with raw chicken. It's convenient and not heating up my house is a huge bonus.

Stitchnripper 08-18-2022 05:54 PM

I like Ina Gartens recipe for spatchcock chicken. Relatively easy and quite delicious.

SuzzyQ 08-20-2022 06:01 AM

Roadkill

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 8563448)
I tried this method with a turkey one year. Didn't go over to well. My son made fun of my flat turkey, named the poor guy Roadkill....lol

Kids say the darnedest things!

Now I have new dish to serve my kids.... "roadkill".... Now I need a special occasion to serve it.

I used to serve baked stuffed heart (beef) for Valentine's Day and Worms and Spiders (KD and wieners cut crosswise on both ends placed on top and baked) for Halloween.

WMUTeach 08-26-2022 03:18 AM

One more silly meal for you to try. On April 1, I would serve oven baked chicken, mashed potatoes, homemade apple pie, fresh veggie for.... breakfast. Kiddos had lunch at school, but for supper we would have a traditional breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast or waffles for summer. I made them smile and I got to "lighten up" from my normal day and be just a little silly. They still make mention of this goofiness and they are all in their 40's now. Tee-Hee-Hee!

Back to the oven baked chicken and veggies. I have never heard of the term Spatchcock Chicken. Time for an old "bird" to learn something new. :)