Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Speaking of cranberries... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/speaking-cranberries-t257895.html)

mac 12-07-2014 03:06 PM

Speaking of cranberries...

Has anyone else noticed that when you buy a bag of cranberries, you always need to buy a second bag because you just know that a 1/3 of the bag will be squishy non-useable cranberries? I've been noticing this for years, but can't think what my problem is. I know that they are very perishable and so I use them right away, but still many go to waste. Even in the stores, I find that many of cranberries in a bag are not good and I pass the bags up. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the brand name either.

Do you think that this has anything to do with the fact that I live in California and all the good bogs are on the East Coast?

coopah 12-07-2014 03:18 PM

I freeze them in the bag and they keep a long time that way. I've never had more than 3 or 4 per bag that I couldnt use. Some stores keep 'new' produce in the storeroom too long...so the 'old' produce will be sold from the front of the store. Maybe check out other grocery stores if you haven't already done that. BTW, we lived in WA state for 18+ years and didn't have any problems getting fresh cranberries there.

Up North 12-07-2014 03:19 PM

The only time I bought fresh cranberries it was to string with Popcorn so no I never noticed id any were soft and soggy.

huntannette 12-07-2014 03:35 PM

Yes, so now I only buy frozen, unless thy are really really fresh

SewExtremeSeams 12-07-2014 03:58 PM

I always pop my cranberries that I don't use into the freezer in the bags they come in. I haven't noticed having to throw maybe one or two away. I really love cranberries. In fact, I am about to make cranberry bark for the Women's Christmas Dessert at my church this week. Should taste great.

Doggramma 12-07-2014 05:43 PM

I'm sorry for your yucky cranberries. They probably go bad from their long ride out to CA. There are several growers in northern Wisconsin so we always have nice ones.

susiequilt 12-07-2014 06:39 PM

I hope you mention it to the produce manager. Why pay for something to throw away.

orsdrramas 12-08-2014 03:40 AM

I cooked a bag of cranberries this past weekend. I spooned what was left over softened cream cheese and served with crackers or graham crackers for appetizer.

Yooper32 12-08-2014 04:05 AM

I have never found more than 4 or 5 bad ones in a bag and have been buying them for 60 some years. Perhaps it does have to do with your location. I only buy whole berry canned when desperate.

2manyhobbies 12-08-2014 04:43 AM

Wisconsin is cranberry country, so our cranberries are darn near perfect :-). But I always freeze any I haven't used up. There is a great recipe for cranberry coffeecake at epicurious.com. It has two ribbons of ground cranberries in it. Delicious. Just google it. Pretty for the holidays. You must type coffeecake as one word, or you won't get the right recipe.