Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Spiced wine for those chilly nights (& next day too) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/spiced-wine-those-chilly-nights-next-day-too-t95659.html)

moonwork42029 01-31-2011 06:53 PM

You can use grape juice if you wish instead of wine. We used Mogan David Blackberry (med size bottle)..cost about $10

In a piece of folded cheesecloth add:

1 t whole allspice
1 t whole cloves
2 small cinnamon sticks
1/8 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t ground cardamon
1/8 t ground giner
1 1/2 t orange peel

Tie this together into a "ball" with a cooking string.

In your crockpot set on low, pour wine, toss in seasoning ball, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup orange juice. If you have some Alpine spiced cider mix, add a package of it.

Do Not Boil Do Not Boil Do Not Boil

simmer this for about 4 hours

serve warm or let come to room temp and serve then

Modify to your own taste after trying this.

Hope you enjoy it

sewwhat85 01-31-2011 08:39 PM

sounds great

littlehud 01-31-2011 08:50 PM

Yummy. That sounds good.

3TreeFrog 02-01-2011 09:21 AM

Hi that sounds great, however I want to make sure that I understand...

t= teaspoon?
does is matter if it's red wine, white wine or Porte?

sounds good, makes me want to get the pot simmering for this evening! lol

TreeFrog

greaterexp 02-01-2011 10:49 AM

I've used similar spices in my mulled wines, but will try your combination now. I think the fruit wines really do well with mulling, especially blackberry, loganberry, etc. Thanks!

moonwork42029 02-01-2011 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by 3TreeFrog
Hi that sounds great, however I want to make sure that I understand...

t= teaspoon?
does is matter if it's red wine, white wine or Porte?

sounds good, makes me want to get the pot simmering for this evening! lol

TreeFrog

small "t" equals teaspoon
big "T" would be Tablespoon

We used blackberry (a cheapy wine) that we liked the best. We also tried some sweet reds that were ok but worth experimenting more. Don't use expensive wines as the spices will override the "quality" of it.

If you have had sangria in the summer, this would be similar to that.

Enjoy

added note... when I saw where you were from I had to edit... we really wanted to take one of the "cat ferries" last year but found it didn't work out with our schedule...maybe in a few years we'll try again.

burnsk 02-01-2011 09:25 PM

In the winter months you can sometimes find a bottle of "Cheap Red Wine". Yes, that's what it's called. They stock it during cold weather specifically for this recipe. You can use mulling spices with it if you don't have all the ingredients for your recipe. It's quite popular in Germany. Can't remember exactly what it's called - something like "glut wine" or "glee wine". It sure is good on a cold night. My Air Force daughter was stationed one time at an Air Base that was shared with the German Army. Many a cold night we would all sit outside around a campfire and drink this. We sang songs and shared stories. Wonderful camaraderie. You've brought back some wonderful memories.

3TreeFrog 02-02-2011 09:44 AM

[/quote]

small "t" equals teaspoon
big "T" would be Tablespoon

We used blackberry (a cheapy wine) that we liked the best. We also tried some sweet reds that were ok but worth experimenting more. Don't use expensive wines as the spices will override the "quality" of it.

If you have had sangria in the summer, this would be similar to that.

Enjoy

added note... when I saw where you were from I had to edit... we really wanted to take one of the "cat ferries" last year but found it didn't work out with our schedule...maybe in a few years we'll try again.[/quote]

Sound great, I am going skiing this Sunday, so I think that a cheap Port with this "flavour infusion" will be a great way to get warmed up when I get home!

I hear that the Catameran is a great way to save time to get from Maine to Nova Scotia, I know that that is something that I would love to experience at some point in my life!

blueangel 10-01-2011 04:04 PM

Sounds good