Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Squash (Zuccini) Casserole (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/squash-zuccini-casserole-t21046.html)

MadQuilter 06-07-2009 11:28 AM

I got this delicious squash recipe from my MIL. It is 100% belly-rubbin' goodness. Works well in double portion too.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups cracker crumbs (saltine, ritz, or other)
1/4 cup butter (softened)
1 lb squash* (unpared and shredded)
1 1/2 tsp onion (chopped)
1 egg (beaten)
1 1/2 tsp salt**
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup cheddar cheese*** (shredded)

Instructions:

Mix crackers and butter (set aside 1/2 cup)
Mix cracker mixture with remaining ingredients and place in a 1 1/2 quart, greased casserole dish. Top with 1/2 cup cracker mix. Bake @350F approximately 1 hour.

* good with just zuccini, but I usually use a medley of squash types. My favorites are summer, 8-ball, and papaya pear.
** if the crackers are salted, I cut back on the salt.
*** other cheeses work well too. My favorite is pepper jack. That kicks it up a notch.

amma 06-07-2009 02:04 PM

Ooooo sounds good....tummy growling....veggie stand opens at 9am tomorrow....can't wait :D :D :D

gaigai 06-07-2009 03:14 PM

Yum, Yum! I can't wait to try it. Well, actually I can , because I'm still recovering from my five straight and I am NOT going out to the store tonight! In fact, now that I've fed the critters, I think it's time to go back to drooling on my pillow! LOL

key4unc 06-08-2009 12:15 PM

Yum! I love squash and zuccini. Got any good spinach recipes?

amma 06-15-2009 04:37 PM

I made this today, it was sooo good!!! Thanks again for posting it!!! :D :D :D

MadQuilter 06-16-2009 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I made this today, it was sooo good!!! Thanks again for posting it!!! :D :D :D

You're welcome. I made it this weekend too - double batch. YUM

Ducky 06-17-2009 12:48 PM

Oh, I am drooling now. That sounds soooo good. :!:

gaigai 06-28-2009 04:16 AM

Hey Martina,

I just took this casserole out of the oven. It is soooooo yummy. I added a second egg, and it's almost like a souffle. Thank you so much for the recipe!

sandpat 06-28-2009 04:36 AM

Oh, that sounds delish!!! I'll have to figure out how to make it with all the low fat stuff...do you think that will work? (DH and diet :roll: ) I might just make it anyway and not let him have any :twisted:

gaigai 06-28-2009 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Oh, that sounds delish!!! I'll have to figure out how to make it with all the low fat stuff...do you think that will work? (DH and diet :roll: ) I might just make it anyway and not let him have any :twisted:

Well, I never measure or follow recipes exactly. So if you use low fat shredded cheese, and cut the butter in half it should work just fine. I didn't use as much cracker crumbs or butter as Martina called for, and you don't need to put the crackers on top. I did use two beaten eggs though, and it made it kinda souffle like. It's nummy!!! But not letting him have any works too! LOL