Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Sugar Cookies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/sugar-cookies-t13103.html)

Missi 11-11-2008 11:35 AM

Help !
I am looking for a good sugar cookie recipie. The kind you roll out and decorate with frosting.

I want one that is more cake like than crunchy. Kind of like the ones with yellow or pink frosting and sprinkles that you buy at Wal-Mart. The really fattening ones :)

Can you please either PM the recipie or just post here.
THANKS!!!!!!

Knot Sew 11-11-2008 01:40 PM

Aunt Mary's Sour Cream Sugar Cookies presented by Lavender Farm Bed and Breakfast Email this page to a Friend
1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract

4 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream

Cream the shortening and sugars; then add eggs and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth. Sift together dry ingredients, and then add to the creamed mixture alternatively with the sour cream. Dough will be stiff, so mix well to incorporate all ingredients. Baked on a greased cookie sheet at 350 F 12-15 minutes until lightly browned. Do not overbake. Once cooled, frost with a buttercream frosting.

Buttercream Frosting:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
2 tbsp milk

Cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Then one cup at a time, mix in sugar. After all the sugar has been incorporated, mix in milk at medium speed until light and fluffy. Refrigerate unused portion in tightly sealed container for up to 2 weeks.

You can google Aunt Marys SugAR COOKIES AND FIND variations...my favorite cookies

SulaBug 11-11-2008 02:55 PM

My Mother-in-law gave me this recipe 45 years ago & we are still making it. I think you will like it a lot.

CHRISTMAS BUTTER COOKIES

2 cups butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
4 1/4 cups flour.

In large mixing bowl cream together butter & sugar until light & fluffy. Blend in vanilla & egg. Gradually blend in the flour. Cover & refrigerate at least two hours or over night. Preheat oven to 375. Roll out dough & cut with cutters. Bake 6 to 9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool one minute before removing from cookie sheet.

HINT: My MIL taught me to roll the dough the exact same thickness, so they will bake & brown evenly. She took a yard stick, cut it in half & then used each half on the sides of your dough. Making sure that your rolling pin rested on the yard stick pieces. Roll dough until even.

DECORATER ICING

2 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
dash of salt
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar

In small mixing bowl beat together egg whites, cream of tartar & salt until stiff peaks form but not dry. Stir in vanilla, gradually beat in sugar until shiny peaks form that hold slightly when beaters are raised. Divide into small bowls & add desired food color's for frosting.

Enjoy...........Cheryl

mary quite contrary 11-11-2008 04:03 PM

One of the things that makes those cookies is the frosting. I have had lots of people request my sugar cookies which are just sugar cookies but I think it is the frosting that keeps them asking.

Frosting
1 stick margarine
1 tsp vanilla
2 T milk
3 c powdered sugar

Gently mix until you won't throw everything all over the counter then whip it. I actually just dump things together so if this is too dry add a touch more milk and if it is too wet add more powdered sugar. I think the secret is whipping it.

auntluc 11-11-2008 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A recipe from my Grandmother's cookbook....I made these until I wore out the page in the cookbook (notice the hole where I put my finger each time I made them so I wouldn't lose my place). The first time I used a cup of salt instead of sugar....imagine sinking your teeth into one of those cookies. :shock:

joannl 11-11-2008 06:03 PM

I've been using this recipe for years. It gets rave reviews from others. Just make certain to use butter, not margarine and use gourmet buttermilk not lowfat buttermilk (how can it be buttermilk if it's lowfat????)
Jo

Cut Outs

1 cup butter 5 ½ cups flour
1 cup buttermilk 1 tsp salt
3 eggs 1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla 1 tsp baking powder
2 cups sugar

Beat together butter, buttermilk, eggs & vanilla until creamy, add sugar & beat well. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda & baking powder. Stir into butter mixture. Chill at least one hour. Dough will be sticky. Roll out thick, cut out & bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. They’re done when no imprint is left when touched lightly.

I mix flour & powdered sugar, sprinkle it on my counter & roll out the dough.
Be certain to use butter not margarine and use gourmet buttermilk not low fat buttermilk for best results.

Frosting

1 stick butter
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup milk

Mix all ingredients.
I thin my frosting & dip the cookies, then use unthinned frosting to add details.