Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Summer Cobb Salad Any Way You Like It (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/summer-cobb-salad-any-way-you-like-t311264.html)

tropit 06-06-2020 10:50 AM

Summer Cobb Salad Any Way You Like It

We have a local restaurant that makes a tasty and unusual Cobb Salad. It's not the typical Cobb, with bacon and blue cheese. They put in all kinds of goodies and it's fun to eat because you fell like you're finding a hidden treasure when your fork hits something unusual and yummy. I try to replicate it at home, but there's, frankly, is the best. (Probably because I don't have to make it myself.)

When I make mine, I just go through the fridge and cupboard and see what I can find. It's different each time I make it. Sometimes there's capers, roasted eggplant, hearts of palm, tofu, mushrooms, nuts, almond cheese, raisins, shrimp, salmon, pineapple, lentils...the list goes on and on...whatever I can find that day. It takes some labor to make, but it's always a huge hit with the fam.

~ C

QuiltE 06-06-2020 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 8391076)
..........I try to replicate it at home, but there's, frankly, is the best. (Probably because I don't have to make it myself.)....................

Oh how true ..... I always say anything can taste amazing when I don't have to make it!!!

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 8391076)
................the list goes on and on...whatever I can find that day. It takes some labor to make, but it's always a huge hit with the fam.........

And I bet it's their shown appreciation that inspires you each time to go the extra mile to make it the best one yet!!!

ladyinpurple135 06-07-2020 12:59 PM

What types of food items would be included in a Spring Cobb Salad? And I so totally agree salads especially taste so much better when I dint have to make them. My sister told this to me years ago when I made a salad for her (and I’m not even close to being the world ho hum salad maker😂).

SusieQOH 06-07-2020 01:42 PM

tropit- good thing it's dinnertime because your posts always make me hungry! :)

tropit 06-07-2020 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135 (Post 8391367)
What types of food items would be included in a Spring Cobb Salad? And I so totally agree salads especially taste so much better when I dint have to make them. My sister told this to me years ago when I made a salad for her (and I’m not even close to being the world ho hum salad maker😂).

Oh...gosh...anything goes....let's see...

any fresh, baby veggies s/a corn, carrots, radishes, cukes, bok choy, tatsu, fennel, asparagus tips, mushrooms, beans
any spring herbs s/a chervil, cilantro, parsley, onion scapes
any little fruits s/a blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, sliced kiwi, currents, grapes, grapefruit sections, orange sections
any little pickled, or canned goodies s/a gherkins, herring, sardines, smoked oysters, red peppers, cukes, capers, hearts of palm
any deli meats s/a cooked bacon, ham, vegan deli slices, cooked sausage, beef jerky softened,
any other surprises s/a cooked won tons, or tortelinni, crunchy chips, hard boiled eggs, cubed cheese, goat cheese, smoked dried tomato slices, eggplant "bacon", sunflower seeds, nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, dried mango slices

What am I forgetting? Oh yeah...fresh greens and some dressing.

~ C

ladyinpurple135 06-07-2020 06:10 PM

Wow!!! Only thing left off that list is the kitchen sink😄😄😄😄. Sounds like a good salad to make now that the summer veggies will be coming in. Now I know what to do with these veggies, etc. I don’t grow them myself but there’s a great farm stand nearby who I hope will have some wonderful goodies. Thanks so much Tropit for all your suggestions. Niw - who can I get to make me kne🤭🤭😃😃😃

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

DanceofStoves 03-13-2021 02:32 AM

Best Classic Vegan Cobb Salad With Dressing (Healthy!)

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135 (Post 8391367)
What types of food items would be included in a Spring Cobb Salad? And I so totally agree salads especially taste so much better when I dint have to make them. My sister told this to me years ago when I made a salad for her (and I’m not even close to being the world ho-hum salad maker😂).

I have prepared a complete guide on that. if you want you can check it here - Best Classic Vegan Cobb Salad With Dressing (Healthy!)

rjwilder 03-13-2021 04:29 AM

I live on salads, I use all different types of lettuce and everything goes in it. I have a bunch of little containers, I put my salad fixings in them. It's my way of food prep so I can see with a quick glance what I have and I can throw in what appeals to me that night.

tropit 03-30-2021 12:01 PM

I think that I'm going to make this for my, "ladies who lunch" get-together. I'l bake up some crusty bread and make some "horses' dovers" to go with it. My dau works for a vineyard, so I'm all set for wine. I also have espresso for afterwards.

Cheshirepat 03-30-2021 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 8472337)
I think that I'm going to make this for my, "ladies who lunch" get-together. I'l bake up some crusty bread and make some "horses' dovers" to go with it. My dau works for a vineyard, so I'm all set for wine. I also have espresso for afterwards.

Officially joining your "ladies". Can even wear gloves if necessary! :D That lunch sounds like a dream! Enjoy!