Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Supreme Potatoes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/supreme-potatoes-t185897.html)

txgran 04-13-2012 05:58 AM

Supreme Potatoes

My family enjoys this potato dish every time I make it!

Preheat oven - 350 degrees. Spray or grease a casserole.

Put in casserole:
5-1/2 to 6 cups of peeled potatoes, cut into 1/4" slices (across the diameter)
1/2 cup chopped onion

In separate bowl mix:
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 can cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
1 soup can of milk
1/2 stick butter, melted

Pour soup mixture over potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste (remember soup will be salty). Bake at 350 for approx. 2 hours, stirring several times. (I sometimes cover for portion of baking time in order to speed up cooking.) (about 8 servings)

QuiltE 04-13-2012 08:23 AM

Oh yes ... a hit in every way!!!!

I make almost this same recipe .... but with a mix of veggies ..... carrots, broccoli, cauliflower (whatever I have) mixed with the potatoes and onions that you already have (and more onions!)

QBeth 04-13-2012 08:54 AM

Would this work in a crock pot?

QuiltE 04-13-2012 09:05 AM

Probably ... you might have to experiment, as the sauce will cook down and thicken some in the oven. Whereas in the crock, it may generate more liquid .... or it may boil down too much.

What's nice is that in the oven you can get some of the crispy crust on top, as you would with scalloped potatoes. I also top mine with some bread or cracker crumbs.

QBeth 04-13-2012 09:07 AM

You must be reading my mind when it comes to the crackers/crumbs! Thanks, I think you're right about the crock pot method generating more liquid.

QuiltE 04-13-2012 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth (Post 5137967)
You must be reading my mind when it comes to the crackers/crumbs! Thanks, I think you're right about the crock pot method generating more liquid.

It really depends on your crock ... I have one that seems to heat more and boils things down drier than the other. OTH this could make for a really nice creamy mixture ... lots of people do make scalloped potatoes in the crock.

I'd probably add more veggies, if the sauce was the issue. Peas go icky coloured when overcooked, so I'd maybe microwave some at the end and add in, if there was just too much sauce for the veggies.

craftybear 04-13-2012 04:04 PM

thanks for the recipe

ube quilting 04-13-2012 05:10 PM

This sounds like a delicious heart attack!
peace

BMP 04-13-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 5139060)
This sounds like a delicious heart attack!
peace

I was thinking the same thing, every once in awhile I will make something "bad" .....I am going to save it for the next 'bad" time....

Sweeterthanwine 04-13-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by txgran (Post 5137423)
My family enjoys this potato dish every time I make it!

Preheat oven - 350 degrees. Spray or grease a casserole.

Put in casserole:
5-1/2 to 6 cups of peeled potatoes, cut into 1/4" slices (across the diameter)
1/2 cup chopped onion

In separate bowl mix:
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 can cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
1 soup can of milk
1/2 stick butter, melted

Pour soup mixture over potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste (remember soup will be salty). Bake at 350 for approx. 2 hours, stirring several times. (I sometimes cover for portion of baking time in order to speed up cooking.) (about 8 servings)

This is how I do mine except I use shredded cheddar cheese instead of the cheese soup, and I use canned evaporated milk to make it richer. It is definately delicious.