Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Thanksgiving...same old, same old, or? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/thanksgiving-same-old-same-old-t319454.html)

tropit 11-02-2022 09:38 AM

Thanksgiving...same old, same old, or?

I allllmmmmmosst got out of making the Thanksgiving feast this year. I just about had my dau talked into it, but she switched to doing Christmas dinner instead. I like Thanksgiving, I do, but it's always the same, old dishes. Everybody has their favorite dish and I can't leave it out. Well, this year I want to change things up. Any ideas? (Don't even mention green bean casserole!)

suern3 11-02-2022 02:33 PM

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you. Just wanted to say that not one person in my family would be happy with a substitute for the traditional dishes, no matter how much I would like to switch things up. Good luck to you, though. :)

Quiltah Mama 11-02-2022 03:22 PM

Tropit, I too have the family tradition of Thanksgiving meal. I have to admit though that I rather like it. I'm sorry , but I don't have any suggestions on changing things up. But I will plan to keep an eye on the thread to see what ideas are suggested though.

Barb in Louisiana 11-02-2022 03:59 PM

Traditions for the menu at thanksgiving dinners are different across the country. Here in the Deep South, one of our specialties that we don't make often is an oyster dressing. We always have sweet potatoes, and my fave is the Sweet Potato Casserole with brown sugar and pecan topping. The Chantilly Berry Cake has become a winner for the dessert.

Tartan 11-02-2022 05:13 PM

I do the same thing every Thanksgiving. Turkey/bread dressing, mashed potatoes/gravy, pumpkin pie/ whipped cream but I do vary the extra vegetable side dishes. This year it was butternut squash and steamed Zucchini. Some years I do a romaine lettuce salad as a side dish.

Onebyone 11-02-2022 07:15 PM

We love shrimp stuffed twice baked potatoes. Easy to make. It's Paula Deen recipe that I have been making for years for holiday meals.
When scooping the potatoes, don't try to remove all the potato or you will tear the peel. Pile the filling in as high as it will go.They look fantastic.

petthefabric 11-02-2022 07:58 PM

Hubby hates change and loves the traditional menu. Daughter has discovered multiple food problems, vegan, gluten intolerant, allergy to milk and egg. I don’t like turkey. Son-I-law will eat anything.

1. If you really want a certain food, you make it and contribute to the meal.
2. Christmas is not turkey. Probably salmon. And a birthday cake for Jesus…not chocolate if I’m making it. Daughter often makes the foods that are gluten, eggs, milk so she can alter them. And she’s good at it.
3. Daughter’s dietary needs are wonderful. There’ll be a salad and a veg with no creamy sauce. She makes great cornbread.
4. As long as there’s turkey, onion sauce (which he makes) and mashed potatoes, hubby’s happy.
5. Me, it’s cinnamon-orange-cranberry sauce and dressing, vegetables. No turkey, gravy, mash potatoes, jello, apple pie.
6. Son-I-l is just happy.

Mkotch 11-03-2022 01:46 AM

Not sure what I'll do this year. There are just three of us and my son isn't a big turkey or gravy lover. Maybe roast a chicken? I saw a recipe for a dreamsicle pie - graham cracker crust, orange jello mixed with whipped cream, etc. - that I'd like to try.

WMUTeach 11-03-2022 03:18 AM

I am a traditionalist. I love to look forward to the traditional dishes of Thanksgiving. My brother on the other hand has for years tried to change up Thanksgiving to resounding "boos" and "polite hisses". We all love him but leave our turkey and gravy alone. He no longer hosts but has yielded the joyful day to his oldest son who is Mr. Tradition. The meal is a broad version of a potluck and scrumptious.

To your question, I would suggest preparing one, just one, dish from your families ethnic background. Or add a simple soup course. Then leave the rest of the meal alone and enjoy being with your family all in one place feasting!

tallchick 11-03-2022 04:57 AM

I just do a Honey Baked ham and a few traditional side dishes with fresh popovers. My daughter comes up for the day and then takes all the leftovers home which is fine by me! I don’t go all out since its just 2 of us, there is only so much one can eat! Once in a blue moon I will make a Prime Rib roast, but definitely not at these prices!