Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Tinned Green Beans (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/tinned-green-beans-t169782.html)

true4uca 11-25-2011 08:17 AM

Tinned Green Beans

Just noticed this past few weeks every food store I was in had displays of tinned green beans & mushroom soup. Is there some way to prepare these I need to know about. I only ever eat fresh from my friends garden. The canned ones just look so sad.

charity-crafter 11-25-2011 09:13 AM

It's probably because in the US it's a traditional thanksgiving side dish-Green Bean Casserole. It's made with 2 cans of grean beans, a can of cream of mushroom soup and French's fried onions sprinkle on top bake in the oven for I forget how long. I haven't made it in years.

bnndr 11-25-2011 09:14 AM

My Grandmother would add salt, pepper and bacon grease to the canned green beans. Mushroom soup is a good sauce for chicken dishes.

delma_paulk 11-25-2011 09:54 AM

They are used to make a green bean casserole, which I think is hideous! Thousands upon thousands of people eat this stuff at holidays and at home. Think you mix the beans with mushroon soup, put in a casserole dish and top with a can of french fried onions around the edge and bake for a while.

Continue to eat the fresh ones as long as you can get them. My MIL taught me to used the canned ones during winter months when fresh were not available by frying a strip of smoked bacon in the bottom of a pan, then add beans half drained and cook/simmer on top of stove about 30 mins. I think bacon makes anything taste better.

Hope this will help you.

delma

Pinkiris 11-25-2011 10:09 AM

The "Green Bean Casserole" is a holiday tradition at many tables. I also grow my own green beans (in season) and love their flavor. But the green bean casserole doesn't taste right without canned beans. I even tried frozen beans one year, but the casserole just wasn't what we wanted on our holiday table. It's all in what you're used to, I guess.

Sue

Quilting D 11-25-2011 10:10 AM

Yup, I agree. It is for the green bean casserole. Funny, I thought I was the only one who really didn't care for the casserole! I love green beans and cream of mushroom soup but not together. I would trade eating the canned any day for those fresh ones you are getting from the garden. Enjoy them, you're not missing much with the casserole. ;)

charity-crafter 11-25-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris (Post 4718875)
I even tried frozen beans one year, but the casserole just wasn't what we wanted on our holiday table. It's all in what you're used to, I guess.
Sue

That is the truth. It has to be canned green beans. Fresh or frozen just doesn't work. I've had it with frozen green beans it was such a waste of perfectly good green beans.

Vat 11-26-2011 04:59 AM

The Green Bean Casserole is an ole classic. But I have changes mine just bit, I use 4 xlarge cans of green beans. I drain 2 cans and put all 4 cans into a large pot and cook almost dry. I caramelize several onions in a small amount of butter. Add the onions to the cooked green beans and then add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. Top with French's fried onions , then bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. WOW ! ! ! so much better when you cook the beans.

Steady Stiching 11-26-2011 05:05 AM

I often make my green bean casserole with fresh greenbeans and my own bechamel sauce with sauted fresh mushrooms....puts the canned stuff to shame, not difficult if you can make a cream sauce
beans, mushrooms, onion, flour, milk (half and half/cream)and french fried onion or bread crumb. bake until warmed through.

MadP 11-26-2011 08:00 AM

I like green bean casserole. It is an easy vegetable dish. I have used frozen green beans, I just cooked them first. I like frozen vegetables over canned ones.