Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Tiny, Shiny, Black Lentils (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/tiny-shiny-black-lentils-t308960.html)

tropit 01-03-2020 08:38 AM

Tiny, Shiny, Black Lentils

I would like some recipes for those beautiful, tiny, shiny, black lentils. I don't know what their official name is. I'm guessing that there are some great Indian recipes out there using this ingredient. Anybody know about them?

~ C

charley26 01-03-2020 02:15 PM

Are these also known as Beluga lentils? I have cooked them, usually the same way as I do Puy lentils.

tropit 01-04-2020 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by charley26 (Post 8347118)
Are these also known as Beluga lentils? I have cooked them, usually the same way as I do Puy lentils.

Yes! I think that the name for them! How do you do Puy lentils?

~ C

QuiltE 01-04-2020 03:05 PM

No recipe ...
... but I do remember a most delicious salad mixture of the beans, rice, corn niblets, sliced cherry tomatoes, green peas .... and who knows what else! :) The colour contrasts showed so vibrant with the marinade/dressing, making it all even more desirably appetizing.

Could play with any favourite marinade/dressing to make your own new house specialty!
Now I have a hankering to do just that! :)

charley26 01-05-2020 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 8347555)
Yes! I think that the name for them! How do you do Puy lentils?

~ C

I generally soak them for an hour or so in cold water, this idea is from ?somewhere. I them rinse them, put into fresh water with a bay leaf or two, and bring to boil and simmer for about 15 minutes or so, less if you wish for a firmer lentil. Meanwhile, I dice an onion, a carrot and, a stick of celery, and fry in a pan with some olive oil, along with a couple of bay leaves, salt and pepper. I let the fry gently for as long as the lentil are cooking. When the lentils are cooked, I strain them and then add the onion mixture, along with a little rocket, or another green leaf, but not much. I may add a splash of good olive oil, and a smaller splash of balsamic.
I prefer doing the lentils this way as opposed to cooking the lentils with the onion mixture, I think the taste is much improved - but that could just be me! I have them with sausages (veggie), or Haloumi cheese etc. Love it.
Apologies for late reply, just logged in now.

tropit 01-05-2020 05:48 AM

Both of those recipes sound wonderful! I'll have to try them. Thanks!

I went ahead and made a soup with some of my lentils. (I still have about a cup left to play with later.) I soaked the lentils overnight, then cooked them until tender and drained. I then pureed up some onion, serrano chile, garlic, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, smoked paprika, sea salt, turmeric, corriander and cumin, along with some tomato sauce and about 3/4 of the lentils. I poured the mixture into the cooked lentils and simmered it down until hot and creamy, then added the unpureed lentils for some texture. To serve, I ladled it into a big, flat bowl and drizzled some cashew yogurt over the top. I ate it for breakfast...so good! (For anyone on WW, it's zero points..a big fat 0!)

~ C

charley26 01-05-2020 11:09 AM

That does sound very tasty.