Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Tips For Making Crunchy, Crispy, Cucumber Pickles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/tips-making-crunchy-crispy-cucumber-pickles-t311624.html)

tropit 07-04-2020 07:38 AM

Tips For Making Crunchy, Crispy, Cucumber Pickles

These tips were all taken from culturesforhealth.com:

- Add a few leaves of something with tannin in it, s/a oak, grape, bay, horseradish, even a teaspoon of loose, black tea.

- Remove the Blossom End. The end of the cucumber contains enzymes that soften pickles. Use a knife to remove a thin slice from the end, to preserve the firm texture.

- Ferment your pickles in a cool location. Don't let them get too warm during the summer months. (The fridge is probably too cold though.)

- Puncture the skin of your cucumbers before you start to ferment them. This allows the brine to penetrate the whole cuke.

- Use smaller cucumbers...more skin...more crunch.

~ C

KalamaQuilts 07-04-2020 08:19 AM

ooOooo, add a bit of loose tea. I'll try that. Fresh summer cucumbers are a favorite here. We don't grow them and they are always so waxy from the store. I scrub them, but still 'peel them carelessly' so there is some green for color.

tranum 07-04-2020 11:27 AM

I remember Mom & Grandma using well water (hard water) to make pickles. Rain water from cistern to wash clothes.

SusieQOH 07-04-2020 06:17 PM

Thanks, Tropit. My husband and son love to make pickles.

quiltnthyme 07-05-2020 04:54 AM

Be sure you use pickling cucumbers. Don't use purposes ones, they won't work.

granny64 07-05-2020 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 8399060)
These tips were all taken from culturesforhealth.com:

- Add a few leaves of something with tannin in it, s/a oak, grape, bay, horseradish, even a teaspoon of loose, black tea.

- Remove the Blossom End. The end of the cucumber contains enzymes that soften pickles. Use a knife to remove a thin slice from the end, to preserve the firm texture.

- Ferment your pickles in a cool location. Don't let them get too warm during the summer months. (The fridge is probably too cold though.)

- Puncture the skin of your cucumbers before you start to ferment them. This allows the brine to penetrate the whole cuke.

- Use smaller cucumbers...more skin...more crunch.

~ C

Add alum to your liquid.

bearisgray 07-05-2020 08:44 AM

Mom would add a grape leaf to the jar of cucumbers that were to be pickled - now I know why.

Barb in Louisiana 07-05-2020 09:26 AM

I find this interesting that no one mentions whether these are sweet pickles, bread & butter pickles or dill pickles. Do these suggestions work for all the types of pickles? When I saw ferment, I thought probably dill? Am I wrong?

QuiltE 07-05-2020 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by granny64 (Post 8399296)
Add alum to your liquid.

Agree ...... I was always told that alum gave dill pickles their crunch.

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 8399336)
I find this interesting that no one mentions whether these are sweet pickles, bread & butter pickles or dill pickles. Do these suggestions work for all the types of pickles? When I saw ferment, I thought probably dill? Am I wrong?

Can't answer your questions specifically, BarbInLouisianna ....However, the only recipe where I have seen or use alum is for dill pickles.

trustme2 07-05-2020 12:01 PM

Tips For Making Crunchy, Crispy, Cucumber Pickles

I have an easy recipe for a crisp sweet pickle. It would take a while to type. I will gladly share (copy & paste) if you are interested and allow me to pm you.
trustme2