Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   tis the season! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/tis-season-t298628.html)

illinois 08-01-2018 03:56 AM

tis the season!

What are your favorite recipes for zucchini?

feline fanatic 08-01-2018 04:07 AM

If they get large I make stuffed zucchini. I stuff it with cooked rice mixed with cooked Italian sausage (I prefer hot) chopped onion and peppers (also cooked) and the guts of the zucchini if it isn't too seedy yet. If it is seedy then I give the seeds to my chickens and add only a bit of the scraped out zucchini meat to the mix. For 2 extra large zucchini I will use 2 cups cooked rice, 1lb sausage meat, one medium size finely chopped onion and a large bell pepper chopped. I also mix in fresh herbs like basil and thyme. Salt and pepper to taste.

I sometimes put in a chopped tomato. Mix all this up, fill up the raw zucchini "boats" and bake it for about 40 minutes in a 350 oven. This is good all on its own but you can add shredded cheese to melt on top at the end. I prefer it without the cheese. (less calories!)

Another favorite way is grilling. I will cut thick slices of zucchini on the diagonal to increase the surface space. I mix some olive oil, lemon juice, clove of crushed garlic and fresh basil finely chopped. I line the slices up on a cookie sheet and brush them with the seasoned oil then flip brush the other side and cook them on a hot grill. Very yummy.

Zoodles are all the rage now. And of course there is zucchini bread.

Tartan 08-01-2018 04:36 AM

I like young zucchini sliced into coins and put in the steamer until tender. A bit of Becel and a delicious veg for supper. I am not a fan of zucchini loaf but I do like zucchini cookies.

ekuw 08-01-2018 07:22 AM

I just cut them into halves or quarter chunks, roast them with a little bit of olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper. They just melt in your mouth :-)

tropit 08-01-2018 04:42 PM

I recently bought one of those mini-spiralizers that you hold in one hand. (Cheap, $10, fits in my utility drawer.) I've been making zucchini "spaghetti" and that's good...not as good as real pasta, but better than I expected and low-cal.

~ C

Mkotch 08-02-2018 03:03 AM

Aside from zucchini bread which freezes wonderfully, I like to grate zucchini with a box grater and saute in a little bit of olive oil with crushed garlic. Expand or decrease depending on how many servings you need. It is always a hit and really simple!

I also like that casserole with stuffing mix, a little sauteed onion, and cream of chicken soup. I don't have a recipe - just mix up whatever I need, bake and serve. Maybe someone here has a "real" recipe?

JENNR8R 08-02-2018 03:37 AM

This is a recipe that I have made several times this summer since starting Weight Watchers. I changed the original recipe to suit me. You may like the original better.

Primavera Stuffed Chicken

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recip...hicken-recipe/

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds Chicken Tenders
1 tablespoons extra-virgin Olive Oil
Salt
Freshly ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 Zucchini, halved and thinly sliced into half moons
3 medium Tomatoes, halved and thinly sliced into half moons
Sliced Mushrooms
1/2 Red Onion, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded lowfat Mozzarella

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken on a foil-lined cookie sheet Spray oil over chicken and season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.

Place zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, and red onion between each chicken tender.

Bake until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, 20 minutes.

Remove pan and sprinkle with mozzarella. Return to oven and switch to broil until cheese is browned.

Four servings and seven Weight Watcher Freestyle Points

mac 08-02-2018 06:20 AM

I like to make frittatas, zucchini bread, add it to pasta with sauce, zucchini boats (ground meat, either chicken, beef, or pork, rice, seasonings, panko bread crumbs and an egg to hold mixture together and then stuffed into the zucchini and baked), or just boiled, drained and add some parmesan cheese on top.

I am sure the Pinterest would have a lot of zucchini recipes to try.

madamekelly 08-02-2018 08:43 AM

DH and I like to cut the zucchini into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes, and sprinkle with some seasoning salt and eat it like popcorn whale watching a movie. I do remove the seeds. Yummy. Zucchini is my favorite veggie. There is no way you can cook it that I do not like.

Doggramma 08-02-2018 12:20 PM

Choc zucchini bread, chunk it up and simmer it with marinara for pasta, breaded "planks" in lasagna, stuffed like you'd do with peppers (meat and rice filling)