Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Tomatoe sauce from scratch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/tomatoe-sauce-scratch-t266647.html)

ptquilts 07-02-2015 07:03 AM

Just 2 things - if you find Fried Green Tomatos too sour, sprinkle a WEE bit of sugar over the slices before you bread them.

Also, when you make a big batch of spaghetti sauce, and it is almost done and smelling so good, put a thick slice of Italian or French bread in a bowl. cover with sauce, add cheese if you wish. Eat with a fork or spoon. No need to wait until supper! We always did this when my stepmom made sauce.

judy363905 07-02-2015 07:07 AM

Wow oh wow. You are are my kind of cook. Yummy yummy :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

Geri B 07-02-2015 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by sewellie (Post 7235455)
I also use corn meal with or without flour.

For fried green tomatoes-
Yes, I use cornmeal too.......then after fried, I sprinkle just a tad of sugar on top!

When kids were small we would go to a farm, pick 5-6 bushels of Roma tomatoes....then I would make red sauce..jars and jars....to last the winter.....kids would come home from school....." Mom's canning red sauce!" Did peaches, pears and apples for applesauce too.......but my then house had a "summer kitchen" in the basement, so my house kitchen was not in total turmoil during canning season....also had a "wine cellar" for keeping all those jars.......was an old farm house........and as a newlywed watching my mother in law doing all that and saying "not me".... But later enjoying the process........now girls are grown and I am widowed....just me and cat......so why bother........but memories are good!

Geri B 07-02-2015 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 7245027)
Just 2 things - if you find Fried Green Tomatos too sour, sprinkle a WEE bit of sugar over the slices before you bread them.

Also, when you make a big batch of spaghetti sauce, and it is almost done and smelling so good, put a thick slice of Italian or French bread in a bowl. cover with sauce, add cheese if you wish. Eat with a fork or spoon. No need to wait until supper! We always did this when my stepmom made sauce.

Still do that when cooking sauce...call this a gravy sandwich

Rosyhf 07-02-2015 10:49 AM

How wonderful all this is. MY neighbor brought over a patch of green ones now but I had them sitting so some got ripe but will try to fry some greens ones today..

stonewoman 07-03-2015 01:50 PM

Do they have to be green? Can you use ripened at all? How do green tomatoes taste ?
They sound yummy...

Rosyhf 07-06-2015 02:32 PM

I never did do the green ones lol. The all got ripe. I do make a special Mex sauce with the ripe ones to put over eggs. It is called eggs motulanios. I put a little olive oil in the pan, add chopped tomatoes and chopped onion, salt B pepper and let it cook down. I normally add a piece of Scotch Bonnet (habanero Pepper).....