Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Too Many Tomatoes/Cucumbers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/too-many-tomatoes-cucumbers-t195370.html)

bearisgray 07-24-2012 04:26 AM

I think the 'awkward' amount of vegetables is - too much to eat at once - and not enough to make it worth the effort of dragging out the canning equipment.

Like being able to eat four tomatoes, but there are eight ripe ones.

This is the first time I've heard of just freezing fresh tomatoes whole. I have heard of peeling and quartering them and then freezing them. My Mom did that - I thought that spaghetti sauce or chili made from them seemed more watery than when using canned tomatoes.

Edie 07-24-2012 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA (Post 5384763)
We grow tomatoes and cucumbers and at some point usually have more than we can eat or give away. I can but do not have a pressure canner yet. I prefer fresh salsa, so not sure if I want to start trying out recipes for canning that yet. What do you do with extra tomatoes and cucumbers?

I peel the cucumbers and slice them thin, add chopped sweet onions or table onions, and cut up some tomatoes, pour a coleslaw dressing over the top, stir it up, sprinkle pepper on top, refrigerate it and eat it whenever I want to! Nice and cold, very tasty!!!! My favorite summer salad!

Worth looking forward to a hot day for!!!!! (Got that? That is Minnesota speak!!!!!) Edie

janbland 07-24-2012 06:30 AM

A little dill is good with this also.

Pat75 07-24-2012 07:49 AM

I make pickles out of cucumbers and i freeze them I live where it is to hot to store so I follow what ever recipe i find and put them in tuperware and freeze them Start using them in a week and enjoy As for the tomatoes I would do the same Stewed tomatoes for spaghetti or marinara sauce or soup made by you with no preservatives would be great frozen and used as needed.

NanaCsews2 07-24-2012 08:04 AM

Hungry for salad right now! I put diced cucumbers in my potato salad (along with granny smith apples) and Italian pasta salad. My son cans the best cucumbers and pickles, so I just send them to him to do for me.
I freeze tomatoes for chili and hot dishes. I blanch them, paper towel dry them, core them, and then place them on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer until frozen. Then I bag them up. I can take out of the bag what I need instead of using the whole bag as when frozen before bagging, they separate easily. I do use my Seal a Meal, but have also double bagged using freezer bags.

icon17 07-24-2012 08:38 AM

LOL don't have an Idea for your Veg's But I have a Storie for You All: My Mom-inlaw is a Great gardener BUT She planted Zucchini and of course WE had way too many!! that also got way to big! so I took some to the neighbor houses But 1st I made little bonnets & bibs put them in boxes on door steps with Note 'Please take care of Junior' !

Latrinka 07-24-2012 10:16 AM

Can the tomatoes and make pickles with the cukes, only thing I can think of.

conniejean 07-25-2012 04:13 PM

On Pepperidge Farms Party Rye, spread Hellmann's Mayo, slice of cuke & sprinkle with Seasoned Salt. Place on plate, cookie sheet or whatever you have available & place in refridgerator until cold.
I can tomato juice to use in chili, spaghetti sauce, spanish rice or macaroni with tomato juice. Also make 3-day lime pickles with cukes. Love to have summer goodness in the winter.

sharon1 07-26-2012 06:35 AM

I love these pickles and so easy to make and so good too! They last in the refrig. for several months and are very crisp! Hope you enjoy!
Microwave Pickles
Slice unpeeled washed cucumbers (about 1 ½ Qts. sliced cucumbers- give or take a few)
Slice 1 large onion thin
Place onion and cucumbers in a large microwave bowl.

1 C. sugar
½ teaspoon salt (non iodized)
¼ tea. Celery seed
¼ tea. Mustard seed
¼ tea. Turmeric
½ C. vinegar 5% acidity
Mix liquid together in a bowl and pour over cucumbers and onions in the large bowl and stir together.
Place bowl in microwave and microwave on high for 5 min. Take out and stir. Place bowl back in microwave on high for 5 more min. Take bowl out and stir again and let stand till cool. Pour into a jar or container with lid. May start eating these pickles as soon as cold. Place jar of pickles in refrigerator and will keep several months.

davis2se 08-14-2012 04:57 AM

Too many tomatoes and cukes?????? How many is too many?? If it were me I would can everything until there was nothing left to can. Just plain old canned tomatoes, and of course pickles for the cukes. I LOVE hot spicy cucumber pickles. And I have never used a pressure canner for either tomatoes of pickles. Just a hot water bath - never had any problmes.