Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Turnips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/turnips-t321146.html)

cindyb 07-18-2023 08:30 AM

Turnips

So my good friend grows a huge garden and dropped off cucumbers, zucchini, corn and TURNIPS. What the heck can I do with turnips?

tallchick 07-18-2023 08:35 AM

Air fry them for turnip chips, cut them thin or use a madolin
Boil them with a few parsnips and potatoes for divine mashed taters
Roast them
I like them in stews

Onebyone 07-18-2023 08:42 AM

Cube and simmer with turnip greens. We had turnip and greens all the time growing up with cornbread and a pot of beans with ham. We love mashed turnips, like mashed potatoes.

KalamaQuilts 07-18-2023 08:50 AM

bury in the compost pile. drop them off in a forest for the bunnies. Mother used to try to slip them into the stew sometimes and I'd smell them coming in the door. The rest of the bounty, yum yum!!

L'il Chickadee 07-18-2023 08:50 AM

My husband, the never could gardener, had a large crop of turnips mysteriously turn up in his garden. Sadly, we didn't even eat one of them. I fondly remember eating raw turnips as a child to humor my friend next door. They weren't that awful.

OurWorkbench 07-18-2023 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 8609636)
...I like them in stews

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8609641)
...Mother used to try to slip them into the stew sometimes and I'd smell them coming in the door. The rest of the bounty, yum yum!!

Stew was the first thing I thought of. I had a stew at a pot luck. It was good and so I asked the person who made it what was in it She told me that she put a turnip in it.

I don't remember how we had them as a kid, but I do know we ate them. My son turned me on to "Slap ya Mama" seasoning that was on brussel sprouts and they were really good.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

cjsews 07-18-2023 09:55 AM

My MIL fixed turnip greens once and I had tried them. Not pleasant to my taste so I quickly ate a bite of potato. NOT. It was a turnip. Never made that mistake again. My DH said they were not bad to eat raw. I passed on that 😝

QuiltE 07-18-2023 10:38 AM

Why not be honest with your neighbour?
Ask what you should do with said turnips?

Maybe s/he detests them and were glad to dump them on you? :)

Or if you already know you don't like or want these turnips, then fess up ... and return them to the neighbour and suggest that someone else may enjoy them far more then you ever could.

There's always the food bank ...... if anyone there would want them?

KalamaQuilts 07-18-2023 10:57 AM

the joke here in Kalama (4 block town) is don't leave your vehicle doors unlocked when downtown in the summer, you will come back to find a back seat full of 3 foot zucchini :)

Stitchnripper 07-18-2023 11:59 AM

If you were closer I'd come get them.