Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Ultimate chef knife (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/ultimate-chef-knife-t285900.html)

Geri B 02-08-2017 05:06 AM

Ultimate chef knife

After trying to cut a butternut squash in half and then in chunks yesterday...using about three supposedly good knives in my arsenal..none of which were smooth sailing...I have decided to look for a pro chef knife-like on the cooking shows...they just seem to cut everything with little effort. Suggestions-please!

grma33 02-08-2017 05:42 AM

here`s what i do i just piearce it with a knife all over and bake
Gale

tessagin 02-08-2017 05:54 AM

I found an old butcher knife. Had some rust on it. Cleaned it up really well and resharpened it. Got it at an estate sale, the owner used to be a butcher. Paid $3 for it and got a couple other knives. Had those sharpened as well. no one uses my knives but me. Hubs doesn't like them and that's ok by me. I also went to a local meat market I frequent and spoke to the owner. Asked him where I could by another good knife in case mine came up missing. He ordered one for me. Special made, $25 with a leather sheath. I've had it now for 15 years at least and butcher's glove. As soon as I'm finished with "my' knife, I clean it and put it away. Ask your butcher if he can get you one or where you can order. I have yet to cut myself.

Tartan 02-08-2017 05:59 AM

​Any really hard vegetable I use a good knife with the metal shaft that goes all the way through it. I put the knife where I want it and tap the tip with my little kitchen hammer until I am through.

tessagin 02-08-2017 06:02 AM

The knives TArtan speaks of is exactly what I have. Not something where the shaft is only inserted an inch or 2. Those are dangerous if they break from the handle.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7759758)
​Any really hard vegetable I use a good knife with the metal shaft that goes all the way through it. I put the knife where I want it and tap the tip with my little kitchen hammer until I am through.

romanojg 02-08-2017 06:38 AM

try checking America's Test Kitchen, they have done research on knives and other things a lot. Then every so many years they do it again. Also, William Sonoma has great knives and sharpeners

ibex94 02-08-2017 06:41 AM

I am partial to Cutco if you have tons of money. I need to go talk to my butcher.....thanks for the lead, Tessagin. $25 is a lot more affordable than Cutco.

Chasing Hawk 02-08-2017 10:21 AM

I use a 10" Santoku knife I bought my first one at Target several years ago. Loved it so much I bought all they had on the clearance aisle.
[h=1][/h]

Onebyone 02-08-2017 11:23 AM

The butcher at the grocery store will cut the squash into chunks for me. I haven't found a knife that will cut it without a lot of effort, maybe a machete.

KalamaQuilts 02-08-2017 11:35 AM

I'm think for me it is much more an issue of strength than knife sharpness.

that said, my great grandfather was a butcher, and I have his knives. One really is like a machete One by One :) I use it with a hammer to cut through.