Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   (un)STUFFED PEPPER SOUP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/un-stuffed-pepper-soup-t214017.html)

retrogirl02 02-16-2013 06:06 PM

(un)STUFFED PEPPER SOUP

For days I know I'll be rushed to make dinner for the family, this is a great solution. Leftovers are easily frozen in silicone muffin tins & can be popped out and saved in a ziplock freezer bag for individual portions. If you'd like to use your crock pot, consider prepping the night before & keeping everything in your crockpot liner/cover combination. I pull it out of the fridge and pop in on low while my coffee is starting in the morning so there's no additional am time required. Once I'm home from work, soup's done and I can relax. ENJOY!

(un)STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
1.5 pounds ground beef
salt, pepper, hungarian paprika & allspice to taste (a little goes a long way, especially those last 2)
1 large onion
3-4 sweet bell peppers (use red/orange/yellow if green causes heartburn in your family)
1 bayleaf
1 quart beef stock (if you're gluten free, use gf organic beef base + water)
2 cans petit diced tomatoes and juice
2 small cans of tomato paste
fresh, chopped basil to taste

Brown your beef, drain fat & add spices.

Add chopped onions and peppers for several minutes until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients if using soup pot or place beef & veggies in crockpot and add remaining ingredients. For stovetop, warm on medium heat until basil is added and simmer for 1/2 hour.

For crockpot cooking, keep mixture in refrigerator overnight and warm on low heat for up to 8 hours. If soup is too thick for your liking, add water or additional stock. We serve with rice on the side but you could certainly add some cooked rice to the soup----crockpot cooks, I'd wait to add your rice in until you're home to watch it because it could really reduce the amount of stock available if you add too much.

trolleystation 02-16-2013 07:40 PM

This soup is one of our all time favorites.

trolleystation 02-16-2013 07:43 PM

This is our favorite soup. I make it with barley instead of rice as my husband is not fond of rice.

LenaBeena 02-17-2013 07:32 AM

Sounds delicious. I love stuffed peppers. Ready to make this tonight. Will be good after practice, board meeting etc.

Scakes 02-18-2013 05:11 AM

This sounds delicious and I've got peppers in the frig that I need to use. Thanks for sharing.

retrogirl02 02-18-2013 11:50 AM

You're welcome! I love stuffed peppers but find this is so much easier to make a large batch of. Plus, the kids seem to like it so much more than traditional stuffed peppers.

blueangel 02-20-2013 09:11 PM

I love this recipe, mak it often.

VivS 02-20-2013 09:24 PM

Sounds great - I just love my crock pot. It makes life so much easier when you both work and no-one feels like cooking when they come home. Another alternative to rice is rizoni (pasta that looks like rice) but like retrogirl02 said, add it when you are around to watch it as it sure can soak up some moisture :)

leatheflea 03-06-2013 01:19 PM

We make this often! Its delicious!

quiltstringz 03-06-2013 01:33 PM

Thanks for sharing - I didn't have this recipe but you can be sure I will try it.