Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Using a Meat Thermometer in a Slow Cooker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/using-meat-thermometer-slow-cooker-t297492.html)

Moira in N.E. England 06-09-2018 08:25 AM

Using a Meat Thermometer in a Slow Cooker

I’m experimenting with cooking joints of meat in my slow cooker and thought it would be useful to use a meat thermometer.

I purchased one in my local supermarket and have never used one before.

My problem is the instructions do not tell you when to insert it. Should it be in from the start of cooking or do I just use it when I think the joint is cooked?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Chasing Hawk 06-09-2018 10:14 AM

Is it the kind with a dial or one of those swanky new digital ones with a probe on a wire?

I do know the thermometer shouldn't touch the bone this cause an inaccuracy in the proper temperature. It should be placed in the thickest part of the meat for best results.

Also anything other than a probe thermometer should be placed inside the crock pot while cooking.

Moira in N.E. England 06-09-2018 10:41 AM

It’s not a swanky one - just a cheap one for the supermarket. It has a piece like a skewer about 3inches long and a small display. No wires or anything - has a battery.

jokir44 06-09-2018 05:29 PM

Does it have a little dimple part way down the stem? If it does that part has to be down inside the meat because that is where the heat detector is.

Moira in N.E. England 06-10-2018 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by jokir44 (Post 8073673)
Does it have a little dimple part way down the stem? If it does that part has to be down inside the meat because that is where the heat detector is.

Thank you for replying.
It does not have a dimple.

mac 06-10-2018 08:02 AM

I don't know that I would use a thermometer inside the crockpot while cooking. I would cook the meat until it is almost ready and just start taking its temperature from there. You don't want to open the crockpot lid very often as that makes the heat go out and it will make whatever you are cooking take longer.

Thermoworks.com has some great thermometers that go on sale often, especially their POP thermometers, that take an accurate, almost instant read temperature. I have one of the more expensive ones, but the POPs go on sale for about $25 every couple of months. The advantage to these is that the instant read means it won't take but a couple of seconds to read the temp, the sensor is in the tip, and the long probe will reach far down so that you won't have to open the lid to your crockpot very wide, thus keeping most of the heat in the crockpot. These thermometer are certainly worth the price.

Moira in N.E. England 06-10-2018 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mac (Post 8073922)
I don't know that I would use a thermometer inside the crockpot while cooking. I would cook the meat until it is almost ready and just start taking its temperature from there. You don't want to open the crockpot lid very often as that makes the heat go out and it will make whatever you are cooking take longer.

Thermoworks.com has some great thermometers that go on sale often, especially their POP thermometers, that take an accurate, almost instant read temperature. I have one of the more expensive ones, but the POPs go on sale for about $25 every couple of months. The advantage to these is that the instant read means it won't take but a couple of seconds to read the temp, the sensor is in the tip, and the long probe will reach far down so that you won't have to open the lid to your crockpot very wide, thus keeping most of the heat in the crockpot. These thermometer are certainly worth the price.

Thank you for your suggestion of a POP thermometer. I’m going to see if they are available in the UK.

Sunny580 06-10-2018 09:11 AM

Personally would never use any kind in slow-cooker. Just remove lid and put probe in contents. If using Nu Wave push pause etc. takes just a couple of seconds. Also has correct temperature written on probe cover.

Bought an instant thermometer (accu-rite) for about $9 at Walmart. Have other brands given as stocking stuffers. Just make sure it says instant.

Watson 06-10-2018 10:18 AM

You should use that kind just to check if it's done. In a slow cooker though, you want to really keep the heat in for long period s of time, so just check once you're sure you're really close.

Watson

nativetexan 06-11-2018 08:25 AM

yes, check the temperature and remove the thermometer.