Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Vegan Thanksgiving Menu (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/vegan-thanksgiving-menu-t313205.html)

tropit 11-22-2020 05:10 AM

Vegan Thanksgiving Menu

This year, because of covid, it will just be my DH and I on Thanksgiving. This gives me a unique opportunity to cook a vegan, Thanksgiving meal, instead of the usual fixings. I don't want to get too complicated, or fancy, but I do want to be somewhat festive and celebrate the holiday. I'm looking up recipes today. Anyone have any good recipes in this genre?

Iceblossom 11-22-2020 08:10 AM

I'll ask my son for suggestions, they make some really nice things. You are looking for full vegan as opposed to vegetarian? They have a nice home made version of field roast from Seitan among other things. They want to try some things with Jackfruit but haven't yet (is a large amount of fruit if you aren't too sure!). Hubby loves their mushroom gravy and said they made a cheesecake one year that was the bomb!

We have vegan versions of "regular" foods, like Green Bean Casserole (the vegan Mushroom soup/sauce is the hard thing). Pickles and olives are a place where both my keto hubby and my vegan son can intersect, along with nuts.

SouthPStitches 11-22-2020 08:01 PM

Was watching Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa today. She made a mushroom bread pudding instead of stuffing. Believe she added chicken stock but veggie stock could be substituted. She also made a veggie gratin using celery root, Yukon gold potatoes and sweet potatoes. There was cheese and probably milk in the sauce but that could be substituted with soy milk and vegan cheese.

Wonky star 11-23-2020 05:29 PM

The Washington Post had several recipes for meatless Thanksgiving entrees that looked really good. Some had cheese but it seemed like it could be left out easily.

zennia 11-25-2020 04:02 AM

a member here, tropit, has a blog with a link to some really good vegan recipes. I am not vegan but do use some of their recipes from time to time.

JENNR8R 11-25-2020 08:04 AM

I don't know why this font is so large. I've made this cake three times last month and everyone enjoyed it.

Eggless, Milkless, Butterless Cake

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

1 cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
1-1/2 cups Water
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
2 cups Dark Raisins
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg

1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Water

2 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder

Combine sugar, water, oil, raisins, and spices in a saucepan. Boil for three minutes, stirring frequently. Take pan off heat and let cool for ten minutes. Dissolve baking soda and salt in two teaspoons of water. Add to raisin mixture (it will foam). Blend in the flour and baking powder. Mix well. Pour batter into a greased 9” square (or 8” round) pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake cool for about ten minutes before removing from the pan.

Serves 10 to 12

Glaze Ingredients
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 tablespoons Water

Combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl and mix until smooth. Pour over cake after it has cooled completely.

zennia 11-25-2020 08:25 AM

This sounds like something I should try. I like spicy cookies and cakes.

JENNR8R 11-25-2020 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by zennia (Post 8436674)
This sounds like something I should try. I like spicy cookies and cakes.

This recipe was popular in the 1930s and 1940s because of the scarity of ingredients during the Great Depression and WWII rationing. I found it a few years ago when looking for a vegan-friendly desert for a friend. You don't have to be a vegan to enjoy this cake!

It's like a science experiment making it in a saucepan. It's interesting seeing the chemical reaction that happens when the different ingredients are added. On paper it doesn't look like it would be good, but it's wonderful. I added the glaze this year, and it made it even better. It took a couple of hours to cool because it's so dense.

Onebyone 11-25-2020 09:29 AM

I made that cake recipe before. I took it to work for the break room, no one finished even half a piece and those co workers ate anything. LOL i didn't think it was that bad, just wasn't good cake though.

JENNR8R 11-25-2020 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8436686)
I made that cake recipe before. I took it to work for the break room, no one finished even half a piece and those co workers ate anything. LOL i didn't think it was that bad, just wasn't good cake though.

Try my glaze...