Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Wanted: suggestions for dh who is toothless this Thanksgiving...soft foods (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/wanted-suggestions-dh-who-toothless-thanksgiving-soft-foods-t234589.html)

nanacc 11-13-2013 09:09 AM

All the above ideas. My Hubby has almost the exact issues and has to have deviled eggs. Must grind additives very small. Could do a version of candied yams with Splenda(reg or brown).

red-warrior 11-13-2013 09:18 AM

My family loves spinach casserole
1 box chopped spinach
12 oz sm curd cottage cheese
3 eggs
6-8 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated( buy bag of sharp if easier)
Thaw spinach and squeeze as much juice out as possible. Mix with other ingredients until well blended and spoon into a tube pan or a bowl with a glass in center. I have a corning glass ringed dish I use. You can bake at 350 until
bubbly and edges are brown or put in microwave for 15 min(0r more) until cooked through. This can be made with
broccoli floretts....my family likes spinach better.

QuiltingNinaSue 11-13-2013 10:33 AM

Redwarrior, that recipe sounds very good. Will have to try that. Think I will make smaller dishes that he can choose from on the table, and let others try his if they wish...thinking stronger about the muffin tins lined with dressing with mashed potatoes with turkey and gravy on top dish, lightly browned. That spinach would make a good side dish. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Sweet potatoes with apples, no nuts, brown sugar and marshmallows is a dish I fix for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Cranberries, cooked with red cherries from the orchard, and add oranges to it with sugar free jello will be another dish that we like. We have fresh eggs to use as well. Duck and chicken eggs.

Elisabrat 11-13-2013 12:02 PM

why not ground turkey meatballs (they are edible without teeth) and turkey gravy over them? no blending, real looking food .. we eat with our eyes right? the biscuit and turkey blended with the gravy sounds ok but would look horrible I think. things cooked well like carrots etc as noted mush up really easily in our mouth.. you can cook cranberries with sugar free sugar lol.. and its not going to taste like the stuff we eat but its going to be a nice sweet soft foil for the heavy turkey gravy. I say thanksgiving my dear is about the company not the food.. is he wanting the traditional foods? or is he happy with something else.. you can make turkey soup cream of.. or cream of butternut squash or mushroom soup as a main filler also. you should post here what you ended up making and how it worked out for others with troubles like this to reference. :)

Neesie 11-13-2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat (Post 6403012)
why not ground turkey meatballs (they are edible without teeth) and turkey gravy over them? no blending, real looking food .. we eat with our eyes right? the biscuit and turkey blended with the gravy sounds ok but would look horrible I think. ...:)

I see you aren't from the South! :D :D :D

QuiltingNinaSue 11-13-2013 02:06 PM

The dressing is used as a 'crust' with the mashed potatoes in the bottom & sides and topped with the gravy & turkey bits and can have a small bit of cranberry relish on the top for color. Looked good in the recipe. I am trying the recipe offered by Red-Warrior for us to have for the evening meal. I 'throw' things together, started with 7 oz of thinly chopped sharp cheddar cheese, about 10 oz of cottage cheese, two packages of frozen spinach and 3 eggs. Added a pinch of kosker salt, put a thin layer of panko bread crumbs on top and sprinkled with paprika and nature's seasoning. I like things to 'look' appealing to the eye before tasting it. To me to grind up the meat, tends to give it a different flavor; to chop it up with kitchen scissors tastes better. I can do the cranberry relish with my Kitchen Aid attachment and it tastes better than doing it in the Cuisinart Food Processor that also chops. Cranberrys, a fresh bag with 3 oranges, two are peeled, 3 stalks of celery, 2 apples through the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment with 3 cups of sugar makes a wonderful relish dish. Cuts the cranberry taste down a bit. You can use it with Sugar free jello and let it set up.

Did I mention our reliable Magtag refrigerator of 7 years quit on us Saturday morning (second time in less than 10 days, and refused to come on the weekend, but scheduled it for Tuesday morning, then had to order a part), so we are surviving without one until tomorrow...it has made us realize how we have depended upon a working unit in our kitchen. With the temps below 40 degrees outside, its made it a bit easier to cope. But we did back it up with a new one from Home Depot that had a very good sale on one...but they could not deliver it Sunday or Monday 'cause it had to come from the warehouse in Columbia, Mo., to be delivered, yep, on Thursday....then we get a call today from them...paperwork did not go through, but they had one in the store that they will send out tomorrow...????Help!! We said "OK!" and wondered why the story changed.

scrappy happy 11-13-2013 04:28 PM

when I had my teeth pulled I put my food in a blender. could eat any ting that way

Latrinka 11-13-2013 06:03 PM

Here's one of our favorites: Broccoli Rice 1 10 oz. box frozen chopped broccoli, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 jar cheez whiz, 2 cups cooked rice. Cook broccoli as directed, drain, melt together cheez whiz and cream of mushroom soup, stir in broccoli. Place 2 cups cooked rice in casserole dish, pour broccoli mixture over rice, mix well. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. YUMMIE!!!

QuiltingNinaSue 11-13-2013 06:18 PM

Do you know the number one recipe that is downloaded from www.Foodnetwork.com more than any other? Cheese and Marconi. Schwans now have a cheese and mac "ball" not unlike a meatball...lightly breaded and looks so good. Love Broccoli, too, rice not so much. I still enjoy the different views of 'soft' food through the eyes of various people who share their thoughts and hints. Thank you.

thimblebug6000 11-13-2013 06:24 PM

We just had this last night & it was wonderful! I got it from a "cheese" magazine:
1 large cauliflower, broken into florets
4 cloves garlic
2 TBSP ( 30ml) olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
1 pkg (200 gram) Dofino Havarti Cheese, Roasted Garlic, coarsely grated
¼ cup (60 ml) cream (I used evaporated milk)
2 TBSP (30 ml) butter
1 TBSP (15 ml) fresh chives, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 375*F
Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Place cauliflower & garlic on the sheet in a single layer, drizzle with olive oil & sprinkle with salt & black pepper. Roast for appox. 25 min. or until cauliflower is fork tender.

Remove from oven & carefully place in bowl of food processor. Add cheese (set aside 2 TBSP for garnish) and cream, butter & season to taste with additional salt & pepper, process until chunky smooth (or as long as you want). Top with chives & additional cheese and serve.

Makes 4-6 servings.... but actually more like 3.