Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   What do I do with a leg of lamb? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/what-do-i-do-leg-lamb-t273371.html)

riutzelj 12-16-2015 07:25 AM

Lamb is wonderful!. Roast it at 325 until the meat thermometer reads 155-160. Cut off undesired fat leaving 1/4-1/2 inch. Do not cut the membrane covering the lean meat. Brush lean side with olive oil and rub with garlic and/or insert slivers of garlic into the meat. Can be served with caper sauce ( medium cream sauce with 4-6 Tblspoons of capers and 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley) or with a gravy made with dill. Mediterranean recipes abound: same principles just using rosemary, fennel, garlic, olive oil and lemon slices on the meat as it cooks. Left over lamb makes great Shepard's pies, Scotch Broth soup, a robust green salad with red wine vinaigrette and lots of other stuff. Epicurious is a great site for further recipes ( Bon Appetite Magazines' site)

romanojg 12-16-2015 08:10 AM

Love love love it. The nice thing about leg of lamb is that it has so much flavor. You can actually just salt and pepper it and bake it or even add some garlic. It is better when there is a little pink in my opinion, but that is a personal preference.

romanojg 12-16-2015 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by riutzelj (Post 7405508)
Lamb is wonderful!. Roast it at 325 until the meat thermometer reads 155-160. Cut off undesired fat leaving 1/4-1/2 inch. Do not cut the membrane covering the lean meat. Brush lean side with olive oil and rub with garlic and/or insert slivers of garlic into the meat. Can be served with caper sauce ( medium cream sauce with 4-6 Tblspoons of capers and 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley) or with a gravy made with dill. Mediterranean recipes abound: same principles just using rosemary, fennel, garlic, olive oil and lemon slices on the meat as it cooks. Left over lamb makes great Shepard's pies, Scotch Broth soup, a robust green salad with red wine vinaigrette and lots of other stuff. Epicurious is a great site for further recipes ( Bon Appetite Magazines' site)

Ok, I don't know what Scotch Broth soup is but it sounds mighty tastey. Recipe please if you don't mind. I love most all soups and stews, year round.

Tudey 12-16-2015 09:14 AM

Lucky you-----Lamb is my favorite meat! I have a lamb seasoning blend that I get at a place called Penzey's and first, I put slits all over the leg of lamb and put cloves of garlic in all the slits, then i rub the seasoning all over it and roast it to medium. You could make your own blend--it contains oregano, rosemary, cumin, celery, black pepper, onion, garlic, spearmint and ginger.

linhawk 12-16-2015 09:49 AM

This is what I do also. Love lamb!

Originally Posted by Tudey (Post 7405594)
Lucky you-----Lamb is my favorite meat! I have a lamb seasoning blend that I get at a place called Penzey's and first, I put slits all over the leg of lamb and put cloves of garlic in all the slits, then i rub the seasoning all over it and roast it to medium. You could make your own blend--it contains oregano, rosemary, cumin, celery, black pepper, onion, garlic, spearmint and ginger.

jbj137 12-16-2015 10:02 AM

*** It is very good. Go for it.

*** You are so lucky, it is very very expensive.

lynnie 12-16-2015 10:12 AM

I thought of the Hitchcock show too!

Jan in VA 12-16-2015 03:22 PM

Send it to me!!!!

madamekelly 12-17-2015 12:11 AM

Lol! Jan you crack me up! Thank you for all of your wonderful information and recipes.
My dear friend from the next town over lost her DH on Friday. They were the only family either of them had. Today she called me in tears. She was crying so hard I had to wait for her to finish "venting" before I could understand what she needed. She needed me to know how terrified she is of having Christmas alone, and asked if she might be welcome here. Really? She thought I might say no? Once she calmed down I told her we would welcome her here Christmas Eve, and she will spend the night to be here to open gifts. When I told her we were having a "Leg of Lamb" she said "wonderful, can I help you make it? I have a great recipe!". Well I guess if I had waited one more day, I would not have had to ask. Lol!
Our family dinner will be on Tuesday to accommodate work schedules, and as usual I am making Christmas dinner for my "orphan on Christmas" friends. Thanks again. I learned a lot from you all.

Krystyna 12-17-2015 05:55 PM

Leg of lamb is delicious, especially medium rare. Cut slits in it, stuff with slivers of garlic and a few with rosemary. Add olive oil tossed potato wedges and pop into the oven at 350 for about an hour or until meat thermometer registers 145-150. Serve with mint jelly, if you wish. Be sure to deglaze your pan with chicken stock to make gravy. Love to serve with asparagus spears topped with melted butter, bread crumbs, a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of Romano cheese. Got leftovers? Saute with some orzo. Yum!