Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   What main dish do you take to potlucks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/what-main-dish-do-you-take-potlucks-t131129.html)

np3 06-17-2011 05:06 AM

I need to make a main dish to take to my first Guild Board meeting next month. I love to cook and have lots of favorite dishes. However, I seldom make a main dish because we BBQ so much. Everyone was signing up for salads and desserts so I said I would do a main dish. Okay, totally clueless here. BBQ is not an option. It is really hot here and will be even more so in July. Any ideas out there?

jdiane318 06-17-2011 05:16 AM

Sloppy joes, pulled pork (very easy to do in crock pot and then shred after cooking) a pork loin is very lean and goes a long way when feeding a bunch. A large sub sandwich sliced in sections. Just a few ideas that I have used for our Project Linus get togethers.

np3 06-17-2011 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
Sloppy joes, pulled pork (very easy to do in crock pot and then shred after cooking) a pork loin is very lean and goes a long way when feeding a bunch. A large sub sandwich sliced in sections. Just a few ideas that I have used for our Project Linus get togethers.

I like the idea of using the crock pot. I could start it in the morning and not worry about it. Would not heat up the house much and easy to transport. Great idea! Thanks.

bearisgray 06-17-2011 05:26 AM

Some things I've seen that seem to go over well -

Baked beans with hamburger in it - don't know what it's called -

Our version of "goulash" - macaroni, tomatoes, ground beef, onions, green peppers casserole

Our version of Spanish Rice - pretty much the same thing as "goulash" - except with rice instead of macaroni

redkimba 06-17-2011 05:37 AM

[quote=jdiane318] pulled pork (very easy to do in crock pot and then shred after cooking)[quote]

:thumbup:

When you need to cook but don't want to heat up the kitchen, the crockpot is your best friend!

I just thought of this - you can make turkey taco meat.

Panther Creek Quilting 06-17-2011 05:41 AM

I make BBQ meatballs. make my meatballs like meatloaf and shape them and bake til almost done then drain grease and cover with bbq sauce and bake another 10 or 15 minutes. Very filling and easy to make and looks like you spent all day!

QuiltE 06-17-2011 05:49 AM

You can never go wrong with a ham roll.
Most everyone likes ham and it goes well with all the other things that may show up at a potluck, whether salads or mains.
And bonus ... does well in the crock too!

Zhillslady 06-17-2011 05:55 AM

Chicken and yellow rice - always a favorite

BMP 06-17-2011 06:02 AM

I make pulled pork in the crock pot all the time in fact that is the only way I cook it. If you have a Sams near you can get the whole loin and use that , much cheaper. I put it in the crock pot and add some small diced onion and season and let it cook for at least 8 hours, then I take out and let it cool enough to handle and then just pick it apart. Put it back in the crockpot with BBQ sauce and set it on warm until meal time. I make my own BBQ sauce ahead of time by the gallon and always have it on hand, it refrigerates for months. I can give you the recipe if you would like.

np3 06-17-2011 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by BMP
I make pulled pork in the crock pot all the time in fact that is the only way I cook it. If you have a Sams near you can get the whole loin and use that , much cheaper. I put it in the crock pot and add some small diced onion and season and let it cook for at least 8 hours, then I take out and let it cool enough to handle and then just pick it apart. Put it back in the crockpot with BBQ sauce and set it on warm until meal time. I make my own BBQ sauce ahead of time by the gallon and always have it on hand, it refrigerates for months. I can give you the recipe if you would like.

Sending PM