Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   What is the secret to melting chocolate chips??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/what-secret-melting-chocolate-chips-t295561.html)

klswift 03-18-2018 07:21 AM

the 'hardened'chocolate got water into it, perhaps just the steam.
I melt all chocolate in the microwave - but you do not keep it in there until it looks melted. After 30 seconds, take out the cup - carefully - and stir it. You will find it is actually melted, it just doesn't look like it. If there are some bits, do another 15 seconds and then stir.

grmamrtha1 03-18-2018 07:36 AM

Thanks everybody........gave up totally!!! :( Chose to use ice cream sundae syrup---not a good choice, but had to try something......Not even one of the 4 of us liked the finished product. Shredded the recipe last night after guests left. But still, I appreciate all the input.

mac 03-18-2018 08:42 AM

Don't you just hate it when you use a new recipe and it doesn't turn out right. It is downright disappointing and a waste of money. Ugh!

tesspug 03-18-2018 02:40 PM

It also depends on the brand of chips you use. The better quality chips will melt and stay melted better. Cheap chips aren't always pure chocolate. If you try this method, leave about 1/4 of the chips out and stir them in after the rest is melted. Stir until they're all melted. That gives the final candy a little shine.

Macybaby 03-18-2018 02:54 PM

This is why I love my induction cooktop. It works very well for candy and I've no trouble melting chocolate and keeping it at the correct temperature for dipping.

Quiltlady330 03-19-2018 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 8023357)
I use a double boiler. But never get it too hot. That will also make it hard

I agree. The double boiler works great for me. I have tried the microwave but do it a few seconds at a time to control the melting.

Pennyhal 04-07-2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sleepy Hollow (Post 8023653)
Whenever I use chocolate chips for dipping, I make sure to add a little oil or paraffin wax. I've used several methods and have had good results with all of them (microwave, double broiler, the crock pot dipper, and even just heating in the oven). Water will make the chocolate seize though, but usually when that happens it has turned grainy on me rather than brittle.

How much paraffin do you add?

As a teen, I learned to add paraffin to chocolate when making candy to keep the candy "sealed" and fresh. Haven't made candy in years and can't remember how much parafin to use!

Onebyone 04-07-2018 11:08 AM

I add a little butter to the chocolate when melting. I do 30 seconds at a time in the microwave, stir and then 15 seconds, stir until smooth. Always pour the melted chocolate over what you want covered, Dipping to cover is messy and lowers the temp of the chocolate too fast. I took a candy class years ago and that is what I was taught.
I wouldn't add wax and I don't like the taste of bark at all. It is very waxy.

cjsews 04-07-2018 11:35 AM

I add up to a Tbsp of wax to a bag Of chips. I think helps to thin it a bit for dipping or spreading. Also give a nice sheen to the chocolate

najudy 04-16-2018 02:22 PM

I am also a fan of the induction burner. Instead of stove heats of high, low, med, etc you can set the exact temp with the portable induction burner and it will stay at that specific temp.