Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   What is your experience with freezer jam? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/what-your-experience-freezer-jam-t197495.html)

ncredbird 08-13-2012 06:27 AM

What is your experience with freezer jam?

My mother always made the best freezer jams. They came out nice and firm after defrosting. I liked them tremendously because they have a fresher flavor than the cooked products I have tasted.
My experience trying to duplicate her results last year was a disaster. Jam was more like syrup than jam in consistency. Just wondering what kind of experiences you all have had along these lines? The peaches are coming to an end and I would like to get some jam made before they are completely done for the year. Ann in TN

ShabbyTabby 08-13-2012 04:59 PM

Here is a recipe. Maybe this will help.

•4 cups peeled, crushed fresh peaches
• 1/4 cup fresh strained lemon juice
•1 package (1 3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
•1 cup light corn syrup
•5 1/2 cups sugar

Preparation:

Measure peaches into a large kettle; add lemon juice. While stirring with a wooden spoon, slowly add the pectin. Let stand 20 minutes; stir every 5 minutes to blend pectin with fruit. Add syrup and blend well; add sugar and blend well. Cook over low heat to about 100°, just warm to the touch. Do not allow mixture to become hot. Pour jam into jars to within 1/2-inch of top. Cover jars at once. Let stand until jelly consistency. Store in freezer until ready to use

Pinkiris 08-13-2012 05:36 PM

Shabby Tabby-- You forgot one step in your jam recipe--Mail several jars to Pinkiris asap! :D Love, love, love freezer jams.

bearisgray 08-13-2012 05:45 PM

My Mom made the best strawberry freezer jam - unfortunately, I never learned how to make it!

jillnjo 08-13-2012 06:08 PM

Sounds wonderful!! Peach and strawberry jam is the best. If you buy a box of pectin, the freezer recipes are usually very easy and fairly fool-proof. The cooked jams always make more per batch and take less sugar. I like the recipe given, may try it with some of my delicious peaches off of my tree. Thanks.

Jakers1 08-14-2012 04:02 AM

I have made raspberry freezer jam successfully with the liquid pectin. The containers of jam last a long time in the freezer and in the frig as well. I just followed the recipe that came with the pectin, which was no-cook. I did not strain the crushed berries, however, but you can do that step if you wish; it just takes more berries.

ncredbird 08-14-2012 04:54 AM

I guess I am most curious about the consistency of the finished product that you have gotten. Mom's was always firm enough to leave an impression in the jam when you removed it with a spoon and you needed to use a knife to spread it around. Even following the same recipes that she used mine is always fluid and wants to ooze off the biscuit.

Julie in NM 08-14-2012 04:57 AM

Used to make freezer strawberry jam in MN...picked our own berries. Felt so bad when we used the last container. It was wonderful!!

Farm Quilter 08-14-2012 08:54 AM

I bought the plastic Ball brand jars made specifically for freezer jam and followed the recipe to make blackberry jam, peach jam and blackberry, peach, strawberry and cherry jam (not enough of any to make the recipe alone, together they were great too). They all turned out just like the jams/preserves I buy in the store. It has been 3 years since I made them, so I don't remember the recipe!

Dakota Girl 08-14-2012 11:56 AM

I have made freezer jam for years. Strawberry, peach and raspberry. I use the recipe that comes with the pectin.
Fresh color and flavor. My mother often would collect jars that "junior" baby food came in and use that jam for gifts.